Studies: FrenchB1

Message 33 of 41
21 June 2015 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Lusan wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
[I've been reading "Cure Tooth Decay" (available in Spanish
for
anyone curious- not
French though). by Ramiel Nagel. Excellent book for anyone interested in dental health

Ja, ja, ja...Anki alone will not teach me the language. I like the idea of a trigger. When I
speak the little Polish I know, the words suddenly appear in my mind or my mouth. They show up
as sounds. Anki is purely visual. I think it would help mostly to read, and it seems that at
the end of the day is all connected. At the moment my focus is with sound. How to allow the
language to come out from the silence within and understanding happening without translating.

Sometimes I'm not worth paying that much attention to. I was waffling on a bit and pretty much stating the
obvious. Anyway thanks for dropping by Lusan and good luck with your language learning!

PM
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 34 of 41
21 June 2015 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
A link I posted in the first or second post
of this thread discusses how memory recollection with FCs/SRS is not useful for language learning
(according to the author) as language acquisition is not rote memory recollection, but more
experience/association or something along those lines.

SRS helps in at least two specific ways:

1. Rote memorization of the meaning of a word may help when you encounter the word in a real text. Instead
of saying, "What does this word mean?" you would say, "Oh, wait a second, I think this means… X? Does
that make sense here?" You actually learn the word by encountering it in context, but the rote memorization is
sometimes the only thing that allows you to exploit a context.

2. More interestingly, SRS sentence cards work far more like extensive input than they do like rote
memorization. Basically, they allow you to see rare or tricky words more often than you naturally would, and
to see them in a familiar context. This seems to help the brain internalize them—not via rote memorization,
but by whatever process allows words to be learned under normal conditions.

Frankly, I'm not impressed by much of the language-learning research out there, for three reasons:

a. Many of the researchers, especially the anglophones, seem to have little personal language-learning
experience, which affects the questions they ask, and how the interpret the results.

b. Quite a few language acquisition studies seem to be designed to answer the question, "Do humans have a
special-purpose Language Acquisition Device that is compatible with Linguistics Theory X?" rather than the
question, "What's the most effective way to learn a language?" In practice, this causes these researchers to
classify highly proficient adult speakers with an excellent mastery of colloquial language as failures, because
they didn't quite achieve native-like results. I find this perspective boring; if it it were true in any useful
sense, I wouldn't be able to carry on a conversation with my wife, since we both learned each other's
languages well out of any posited critical period.

c. Even when researchers ask interesting questions, the science is frequently terrible: Small sample sizes,
primarily anecdotal results, etc. Now, I have nothing against anecdotes—and people like Krashen have
certainly documented some nice ones—but if I want anecdotes, I can find plenty here on HTLAL, which has a
remarkable concentration of experienced language learners and world-class polyglots. Sure, I'd believe a
rigorous study over anecdotes, but as noted, rigor is often in very short supply.

As usual emk your logic speaks of logic. All your points make sense. To be honest that link I provided
(not sure if I called it reasearch, it was more one language blogger's anecdotal experience on why flashcards
are rubbish). I didn't necessarily agree with the guy but at least in part it allowed me to question how I was
using flashcards (too heavily, too complicated). He basicall stated that he learns language in context as it
applies. If he's in a restaurant in Mexico wanting to order a certain dish but doesn't know the names of some
of the items on the menu... he learns them. I find this theory rubbish when I think about it. I mean let's say I
want to become excellent at basketball (used to be obsessed with the game)... so I play whenever I come
across basketball courts? Whenever I see a ball? Whenever the opportunity arises that someone else wants
to play? You have to practise. Okay let's be fair and apply it to languages. Then I only learn new words
as they pop up on television, or in my courses, books, speaking, and so on? 1 I'll forget them. 2 it's too messy
a style. I think there's got to be a balance in language learning (which i'm not so good at and often shoot
myself in the foot here) between intensive language study (analysis of phonetics, single words, dictionary
use, SRS, deliberate vocab acquisition- that doesn't bog you down too much... and extensive
exposure/learning). There's got to be some logic to my intensive study for me, some routine, some flow, and
something to make it stick!

In terms of science. I think your arguments are why anyone with a little wisdom takes most research
nowadays with a grain of salt. The could've either asked the wrong questions in their research, have a biased
for wanting a particular answer, have been funded by invested interests, have biased testing, stand to gain a
lot of money, and so on. Yourself being a lover of science I'm sure you're all too aware of such things and as
such have demonstrated so in your explanations on language acquisition and research. Once again thank
you emk

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 21 June 2015 at 6:04am

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 35 of 41
21 June 2015 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Lusan wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
[I've been reading "Cure Tooth Decay" (available in Spanish for
anyone curious- not
French though). by Ramiel Nagel. Excellent book for anyone interested in dental health

Ja, ja, ja...Anki alone will not teach me the language. I like the idea of a trigger. When I
speak the little Polish I know, the words suddenly appear in my mind or my mouth. They show up
as sounds. Anki is purely visual. I think it would help mostly to read, and it seems that at
the end of the day is all connected. At the moment my focus is with sound. How to allow the
language to come out from the silence within and understanding happening without translating.

I have an entire anki deck in Mandarin where the "front page" is just someone saying a sentence in Mandarin with two (hidden) hints, the characters, then the pinyin. I try to translate the sentence without using the hints. I find this helps my listening comprehension. Also you might want to look into subs2srs where you can drill lines from movies or television with the subtitles in TL & NL.

EDIT: Fixed spelling mistake.

Edited by rdearman on 21 June 2015 at 12:23pm

cpnlsn88
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4818 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 36 of 41
21 June 2015 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Anki comes in at different points for different purposes. Wisdom is to know what you
want from it and tailor it to that end.

For me I use it to learn a smallish set of words in a new language; revise irregular
aspects (e.g simple past and past participles of German, noun genders), a small set
covering German prepositions where usage is different and a deck of words I discover
as I go along, but stressing expressions that are idiomatic and distinct from English.

In some cases I want to learn vocab, in others anchor things like idiomatic usage or
reduce my error rate with gender and common verb forms. I am not obsessing about
getting it right but just hoping that the idiomatic usage is helped to 'stick' and
come more naturally (like for example, 'worthy of the name' in German would be
rendered using the verb (das den Namen verdient) or in English you make history, in
German you write it; things like that.

Consequently I go to zero trouble making cards - they are just hooks for a point of
attention that increases the probability of using the correct term or recognising it
correctly.

Things I have learnt about Anki:

1. Advice is to avoid downloading a very big deck - I have done this but I advise
doing it under caution and you should already be very good with the language. In this
case be very trigger happy with the delete button and delete any words you don't know
in L1 for or are never likely to use and .... leaches.

2. If you can't get a word because it is confused with another interfering one
solution is simply delete one of the two words, fix one of them in your mind, the
other will likely drop into place naturally if you ever meet it in the real world
(context will help you).

3. Accept there is forgetting. Forgetting is a normal part of the way our brain works.
And you probably didn't forget the things you think you forgot anyway. If you came
across them in context you may have been OK. Anki is organising your forgetting - you
meet a word as it is dropping out of your memory. A better way of thinking about
forgetting is to think of neural connections as weakening. Similarly with recall. It
is in your head somewhere but you may not be able immediately to recall something,
just because you learned it in anki. So don't despair. I tend to have an 'error' rate
with anki of between 10 and 20% and have now accepted this (remember most of the words
you really know don't get shown to you....)

4. Part of the point of anki is to develop automaticity when encountering a word a
'meaning' is already there. In no way, shape or form does that mean translating each
and every word you come across in the real world, say reading a book. It is in the
reading and listening that the word really beds down if it is a word you are likely to
come across. My experience is that tying a word down in anki helps me read more
fluently rather than the opposite. (This is a separate argument from looking things up
which is a whole different area of discussion).

5. In general advice is to delete leaches. I generally don't however and put this down
to a quirk of my personality. Put simply the word you are trying to force in isn't
going in and the effort you are using to make it go in is by and large wasted. If you
come across the word loads and loads in the real world it will stick on its own. If
you never come across it again then why waste time and angst forcing it in? (memo to
self on this one!!).

Downsides of Anki to be aware of:

- you may be spending time on words you might be able to ignore altogether in order to
be better able to focus on areas of communicative competence

- anki tends to be somewhat failure orientated because you're always forgetting words.
This tends to pull your attention onto things you are not doing well rather than what
you have learned or know.

There is nothing you can do about the downsides but being aware of them means you're
more likely to keep perspective.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 41
22 June 2015 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
I'll just add one grievance with much laboratory testing of vocabulary learning: the use of multiple choice tests. Giving people some alternatives including the correct answer means that the researchers effectively test recognition under the best possible conditions (which I would equate with the level you need for extensive reading). The test level I use is that I can produce a sensible translation or explanation - but that is obviously harder to score. Even a machine can score multiple choice test forms so financially challenged (or lazy) test teams favor those, but at the expense of the relevance of their data.

During my research up to the Novi Sad conference last year I found some tests where the researchers had used both methods with the same test group, and the scores were dramatically lower when people had to produce translations/explanations out of the blue. When the task was to learn words from spoken sources the results with the hard criterion were close to nil - which doesn't exclude that you can learn words you meet in relevant situations (provided that you get an explanation right away - or can guess the meaning yourself), but only that a setup where you listen to talking heads in a laboratory won't function. Learning words from written sources functions better.

My perrsonal experience is that I may hear the name of, say, a new dinosaurus in a TV program, but unless I write the name OR I get repetitions in later TV programs down I'll forget it. However if I already know the name I'll get my recall reinforced, and with a little luck I'll even be able to use the name of the critter actively. This is exactly why I have been adamant that I learn most of my words through wordlists - those words that aren't reinforced will be forgotten. The same argument applies to SRS systems: they permit you to get a hold on the kind of words you don't hear or read again and again and again and again in your daily life. And how? By making sure you see them again and again and again and again.

Edited by Iversen on 22 June 2015 at 10:20am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 38 of 41
22 June 2015 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Hm, why expect different people to pick up the same words from the same content? Nobody will remember everything, and in a somewhat long text/recording everyone's background will vary, ie the familiar words, the vaguely familiar words, the opaque/unknown words, the associations, the relevancy, their knowledge/understanding of L1 (for example the uncommon French and Latin loans in English). People will understand the same text slightly differently.

Admittedly this doesn't explain the difference directly, but most learners are far more used to learning from reading. If they've done a lot more reading than listening, I don't think the experiment makes sense.

cod2
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4335 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 

Message 39 of 41
22 June 2015 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Hi Cod2, slowly but surely I think I'm resolving my issues with SRS mainly due to the
great advice I'm
receiving here that's gradually sinking into my consciousness, albeit with backsteps of
reluctancy.

I couldn't get your link to work... could you point in me in the right direction
(thread/log and page nbr perhaps)
or resend the link?

I have updated the post and the link should be working now. There was an extra space.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 40 of 41
27 June 2015 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
@Cod2,

Thanks for the update Cod2,
Your conclusions (naturally) are different than mine.

@all participants in this thread...

Thanks everyone for your input in providing your opinion(s), relating your own
methods, or suggesting potential improvements to mine.

In the end I walked away (yet again) from complicating the issue and have stuck to a
basic deck that uses this principle:
Front = clue (usually 'half cloze' cards)
Back = answer
side 3 = dictionary form (eg infinitive for verbs) and some other details.

I am finding more and more that side 1 is entirely French. Side 2 is always French. I
don't see much point now for translating the other way. I need to feel more immersed
and thus ridding myself of English wherever I can seems to be involving me more in
French. I'm unlikely to become a translator and I still believe you can translate
(maybe not with 100% accuracy) if you've learned without the crutch of L1 so much.
Side 3 as usual includes the dictionary 'standard' form (eg infinitive for a verb), a
word class eg nf (noun, feminine) and phonetics with words that are tricker to
pronounce.

For my clue side (side 1): They are often sentences with a missing word or a few
missing words. Sometimes I use a French definition instead with an expected typed
response as well with the first letter of the word at the end of the clue (cloze
again). With the cloze cards I provide a hint in brackets in French or English,
whatever I feel is more appropriate, favouring French in general. And I'll still
sometimes just use an English word for my clue, and type the French answer (basically
a stock standard L1-L2 translation).

I'm still using my old deck for reviewing of all those words I've come across up to
creating my new deck. After I've finished reviewing new words (just another 220 to go)
I'll go into 'exclude' mode with that deck and systematically exclude as much as I
possibly can to minimize my reliance with that deck until some time in the future that
deck becomes completely excluded, or perhaps what little remains I transfer to my new
deck.

Thanks again peoples,

peace up

PM, for realz

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version