United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3767 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 12
18 June 2015 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
I need recommendations for a streaming service to watch French films for the Super Challenge (something
other than Netflix which I have). Ideally, there would also be Spanish cinema available as well (my next
language, but this is not a deal-breaker). I will be away from my home and my all-region DVD player/DVDs
for the next 2 1/2 months. I have watched a fair amount of what Netflix offers in the French catalog, and I feel
like I am starting to run out of choices there. Ideally, the service will have an iOS app that I could then connect
to my AppleTV. I also have a VPN. My research so far has found:

MHZChoice (Re-launch Fall 2015 so not an immediate option for me)

Fandor: $10/month; iOS app; 20%off coupon; Free 2-week trial available. Fandor appears to have a good
range of classic and newer French films.

Mubi: $5/month; iOS app; Every day a new films becomes available for 30 days. Selection always changing.

Hulu/Amazon: I believe I read here on HTLAL that these two services do not offer an extensive
selection of French/international movies.

Can anyone recommend any of these services above or an other option not listed above?

Edited by Mohave on 18 June 2015 at 3:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kavakos
United States
Joined 3341 days ago

5 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Russian, Portuguese

Message 2 of 12
18 June 2015 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, and there is a LOT of overlap in general. If you already
have Netflix, I don't think you'd be getting much out of Amazon. I can't even find a way
to select Prime movies based on language/country... It seems like all foreign films are
grouped together, and can only be separated further by genre.
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4967 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 12
18 June 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I have Netflix and there are a few good foreign films but not exactly a huge selection. A couple dozen French films and ten or so Italian ones, and seems similar for other languages. This is in the UK though, I don't know if the US version has more. Using a proxy/VPN to access Netflix France is an option, but even with that I didn't think the selection was amazing. Seemed to emphasise US/UK material over native French, and a lot of the "premier" French stuff wasn't there presumably due to entertainment laws and uncooperative distributors, although if you're aiming for massive input and quantity over quality then it's probably enough to keep you busy for a while.

I'm not sure whether to keep my Netflix subscription now that I've exhausted the Italian stuff and French is a low-priority language for me now. There has been talk for a while of them launching in Italy and Spain, which would encourage me to keep it and use VPNs, but still nothing definitive as far as I know.

Mubi looks very interesting but I can't find much information on their hard-to-navigate website. I realise that the selection is constantly changing, but it would be nice to know how much foreign stuff tends to be available. Anyone have any experience?

Edited by garyb on 18 June 2015 at 11:11am

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 12
18 June 2015 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Keep an eye on Francophone TV, especially with the Replay TV option. They're not yet signing up new customers yet, but when they do, they'll offer a pretty good selection of TV channels.

The way you'd use this for film streaming is to pick a channel which shows films, and then just jump back day-by-day until you find a film that looks worth watching. You won't get as many French art films as you might get elsewhere, but you will get lots of popular films and well-dubbed films, plus a bunch of pretty decent TV series.

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3729 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 5 of 12
27 June 2015 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Keep an eye on Francophone TV, especially with the Replay TV option.

This is an excellent potential resource, but they seem to have changed the address to
Francophone TV

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5080 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 6 of 12
28 June 2015 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
I need recommendations for a streaming service to watch French films for the Super Challenge [...] I also have a VPN.

Have you already checked out Arte? They offer lots of documentaries and a couple of movies in either French or German without commercial interruption, however, you'll need Hola Unblocker or a dedicated VPN to access their website outside of France or Germany.

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4398 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 7 of 12
28 June 2015 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
The Australian public broadcaster for ethnic minorities, SBS, has 133 French language movies and 58 Spanish language movies
streaming for free. But you'll need to use a region unblocker. They do have an IOS app.

Edited by AlexTG on 28 June 2015 at 1:08am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4649 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 8 of 12
29 June 2015 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I like Mubi a lot, and the mobile app works very well on apple products. I
don't know about android. The selection varies; there will be months where I don't
find anything I'm interested in, and then months where there are five or six films I
want to watch. At $35 a year it's worth it.

The current French flics are:

La fortresse
Vol spécial
Conte d'été

Hulu has the Criterion Collection, but I have mixed feelings about it. They
tend to focus on canonical directors rather than great films, and to me it seems like
you have to wade through a lot of sub-par films to find the good ones.

Filmon Live TV is
another free one to check out. They live stream France 2, France 3, and France 5. I
haven't figured out the schedule yet, so it's all kind of random. There are no
subtitles, but I find that French tv is far easier to understand than French podcasts
& movies.

It streams well on my ipad and desk top.They are developing a roku channel, and have
an android app that I haven't tried.

They also stream tv from Italy, Hungary, Russia, Germany, Greece, & Kazakhstan, and
have general Asian, Latino, Caribbean, African, and Arab channels. These are hit and
miss; the only show on Italian tv seems to be a home shopping network.

Edited by kanewai on 29 June 2015 at 11:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version