United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 41 of 94
23 June 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
I have always wondered how that style would work for me. Weight my time spent learning a language about 95% toward reading, slipping in just enough listening to ensure that my inner representation of pronunciation didn't fly totally off the rails. Get all the way up to reading complex novels and philosophical books, then finally let myself loose on films and conversations and see how long my ears take to "catch up." Could be interesting.
5 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5795 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 42 of 94
23 June 2015 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Here's a few things I once believed, but probably shouldn't have:

Speaking is the only skill that matters
I could become fluent in Japanese in 18 months (I'm sure some people are able to do this, but not me)
The more hours studying I can fit into one day the better (it's true to an extent, but depends on what stage I am in learning the language, and even then there is always a limit to how much I can learn in a day)
I hate listening, it's too hard (now there was a time in my life when "listening" involved worn out French audio cassettes in classrooms with no curtains and high ceilings surrounded by 30 disinterested 15 year olds, and that really was rather unpleasant, but things have moved on since then)
I can learn a language with textbooks alone
I can learn a language with input alone
I can learn a language with Anki alone
After a break of several years I would have to restart French from scratch
There is no point reading/listening to something unless you can understand everything perfectly
There is a point reading/listening to something when you can't understand a single word
Everyone who can speak any degree of English as a foreign language will automatically be more comfortable in English than I am in their native language
Textbooks are bad for you (no, only the bad ones)
Learning grammar is bad for you
Translating is bad for you (it might not be necessary to learn a language, but it's a useful skill to have)
I need to make a firm plan through all the levels and stick to it
If something works well at one level of progress, it will work well at all levels
I shouldn't read ahead in my textbooks (I blame this one on a few difficult schoolteachers who didn't appreciate students showing initiative)
Learning noun genders (in applicable languages) is unnecessary and pointless
Native speakers have all the answers
You can't learn a language without living in the country
If you live in the country, you'll pick up the language easily
Learning a language will finally prove to the world how awesome I am

Edited by g-bod on 23 June 2015 at 10:04pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4334 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 43 of 94
23 June 2015 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
"When you learn Norwegian, you can automagically understand Swedish and Danish too"

It's true to some degree, but it depends on your interpretation what "understand"
entails.
Naive me used to think I could watch movies without subtitles...

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5158 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 44 of 94
23 June 2015 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I'd like to observe you interact with native speakers. Must be a pleasant sight.

Well, I've done it here repeatedly without issue, since what I have described in previous posts is largely the manner by which I learned English. I would even venture to say, my English is better than that of most, despite me not having had more than three or four conversations in the language in the last fifteen years and never having actually been to an English-speaking country.

Perhaps a more remarkable occurrence would be someone like you trying to read an important book in your target language written two or three hundred years ago and coming across an overwhelming amount of unknown words and complex syntax that don't occur in the popular entertainment and everyday conversations that make up your exposure to the language?

Edited by Juаn on 23 June 2015 at 11:00pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 45 of 94
23 June 2015 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

I can learn a language with input alone

Do you think you'd not be able to learn Dutch with input? (I'm not saying it's the fastest or easiest or best way)

Quote:
There is a point reading/listening to something when you can't understand a single word

How about Danish for German speakers?

Quote:
Learning grammar is bad for you
Translating is bad for you (it might not be necessary to learn a language, but it's a useful skill to have)

They're not bad for everyone but they can be bad, especially if you translate with a L1->L2 dictionary or grammar kills your motivation. I'd say your actual mistake was simply that you thought what is true for others would be true for you as well. It doesn't mean they were wrong.

On a similar note, I used to think that previous experience only matters when you've reached "fluency", when you've "really learned" the language. I started Esperanto mostly to have one more language under my belt. I've since realized that while Prof Argüelles was probably right that it gets different after about four languages, this mostly applies to those who want to learn them one or two at a time. Any experience is important, including dabbling.

Edited by Serpent on 23 June 2015 at 11:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4822 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 46 of 94
23 June 2015 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
By the way I loved g-bod's list :-) Quite all the extremes (and we tend to hear many anywhere we go) are bull, very true.

I remembered another load:
-You cannot forget a language once you know it. Yes, I trully believed that.
-basically most definitions of "speaks" and "fluent" were bull. And I believed many
-Language X is the hardest/easiest language to learn. I stopped believing this bull after I heard it being said about several different languages.
-Language Y is useless. (Y being usually French). I'm glad I didn't believe them.
-You can't learn the French pronunciation. I believed when I was 9.

Edited by Cavesa on 23 June 2015 at 11:40pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5795 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 47 of 94
23 June 2015 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Do you think you'd not be able to learn Dutch with input? (I'm not saying it's the fastest or easiest or best way)

Once my German is a bit more solid I think I could probably get into Dutch input comparatively early on, but if I wanted to learn Dutch properly, it wouldn't be the only thing I'd do. I'd need a bit of a hand with pronunciation for a start.

Serpent wrote:
Quote:

How about Danish for German speakers?

I was thinking more along the lines of Japanese for English speakers. I'm not sure German speakers would ever be in a situation where they can't understand a single word of Danish.

Quote:
I'd say your actual mistake was simply that you thought what is true for others would be true for you as well. It doesn't mean they were wrong.

Yes. I think maybe the source of a lot of bull is when you hold onto ideas in absolute terms (X is good, Y is bad) whereas it is often a case of different tools being appropriate for different people / problems / situations.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 48 of 94
24 June 2015 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
This is a bit specific, but I have been told several times when I was a teenager that
for Spanish that "no one uses vosotros/vosotras", therefore it is useless to learn it.
Well given that I learnt using Peninsular materials and mostly interacted with
Spaniards that was a bit rich. But apparently my American friends have told me that
sometimes in their classes they go through all of secondary school without learning
vosotros, which to me is weird as hell. I am not sure about AP level though.

When I started interessing myself in Argentina I was told in general terms about
Spanish that not only do people not use vosotros, people do not use voseo, so no need
to learn "vos" conjugations. Well that was also quite funny.

A few years ago someone from Portugal told me that understanding "Brasilian" was hard,
like how, as he lived in the UK, understanding "American" and "Canadian" languages was
hard. Although it does not help that my grandmother still says, "What they speak in
Canada and America takes me a long time to understand. I need a translator if an
American or Canadian speaks to me." As a European Portuguese learner, it takes a bit
of acclimatisation to a Brasilian accent, but it is definitely not as big a difference
between for example, French and Cantonese.

Although a few years ago when we had a family member from Burnaby, BC visit us, my
grandmother said, when he was in another room, "Do you have any idea what the hell he
is saying? It might as well be German or Spanish to me."

Another thing is that constant speaking/conversation practise is necessary to get to a
high speaking level. I do not have very many Hispanophones right now for practise
other than going to Hispanophone restaurants with Hispanophone staff, but other than
reading aloud news articles and doing mock conversations with myself, my thinking in
Spanish allows me to break out in conversation at any time if I need to. Neither have
I been to a Hispanophone country in years (for financial reasons). No meetups or
whatever necessary. Maybe it is specific based on person, and sounds like someone who
does not do maths often, and suddenly can be called to solve 5-page long problems
Navier Stokes with 0 real practise in years. But for me as long as one does some sort
of regular private mind-stimulation on the subject it is very possible.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 24 June 2015 at 12:16am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version