Joined 4303 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 33 of 94
23 June 2015 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Monolingual dictionaries tend to stink for certain types of
lookups, especially some concrete nouns. Let's consult the RAE for the Spanish word "un
cenzontle":

"Pájaro americano de plumaje pardo y con las extremidades de las alas y de la cola, el
pecho y el vientre blancos. Su canto es muy variado y melodioso."

"American bird of brownish-gray plumage with the extremities of its wings and tail and
chest and stomach (colored) white. Its song is quite varied and melodic."

Ok, that kind of narrows things down, but just telling me "mockingbird" would have been
a lot simpler and left me with less uncertainty. Of course, we do have Google Images
these days to clear things up for us.

A good monolingual dictionary would tell me that it's a Mimus (polyglottos?),
wouldn't it? If I don't know what this is (I don't), I would be better off using an
encyclopedia instead of a bilingual dictionary.

Edited by daegga on 23 June 2015 at 1:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Improbably
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4718 days ago

34 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English

Message 34 of 94
23 June 2015 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
I guess the problem with bilingual dictionaries stems from expectations. If you expect to learn how to use a word, then a bilingual dictionary with only definitions and no examples of proper usage would be useless. But then, that's not what I perceive the purpose of such dictionaries to be. Presumably, when you look up a word, you've already encountered it in some context, and want to know what it means, and that context is usually all you need to tell, for example, whether 'yumi' means the kind of bow you shoot arrows with, or the bow of a ship. And when using a bilingual dictionary while doing some translation work, you generally use it to remind yourself of possible translations that you can't seem to recall at the moment, even though you know the meaning of the word you're trying to translate.

And with regards to learning words outside context, say I made a flashcard with 'yumi' on the front, and 'bow' on the back. I wouldn't know exactly what kind of 'bow' is meant, but still, I would memorize it verbatim. And when the chance comes when I encounter the word in context, I'll think 'that means bow, aha, this is the kind of bow that shoots arrows, because we're in the middle of a medieval battle scene', and I would've learned the proper meaning of the word without having to interrupt my reading to look it up.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 35 of 94
23 June 2015 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
A teacher was trying hard to make us believe the bull that monolingual dictionaries were the only and best ones and that the internet based bilingual ones were bad.

Bull because:
-monolingual dictionary can be a good tool for an intermediate or advanced learner who likes to use it.
-there are good and bad bilingual dictionaries and paper is not a guarantee of quality
-you don't get enough context in either, you usually need to look for examples or look up things you can already see in context.

My favourite bull:
-classes in the country are a good way to learn a language. Hard to imagine I could have believed that, given all my childhood and teenage experience. Classes are classes, no matter where they take place.
-You need to be in the country to learn the language to high level. Wrong. You can be in the country and learn very little or you can get to C2 without spending more than a few touristy weeks there in years.
-You need to follow the levels, get A1 stuff first etc. Nope, you need a lot of "advanced" stuff quite early while some of the supposedly easy things are actually hard and less common until you get further in the learning.
-Subjunctive (French) is hard and very advanced stuff. Nope, it is bread and butter and should be taught earlier with less panic
-Listening is hard. Nope, it is not hard if you listen enough and start from easier things. And if you always listen to stuff you find enjoyable. Listening is hard if you believe your teacher it is hard and that the few listening exercise in class are the way to learn it.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 36 of 94
23 June 2015 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
I'd rather vaguely know that yumi is some kind of weapon (and arrow is a common word so it's easy to learn from the context which one) than know yumi=bow but not in which meaning I can use it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 37 of 94
23 June 2015 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
I'd google an image. (Funny fact: Last time I needed to google an image, it was a czech word. Such a weird word I don't know the exact meaning till today and there wasn't even a picture. All the definitions I found were even more vague than your yumi example)
2 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4841 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 38 of 94
23 June 2015 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Wow, controversy about monolingual vs. bilingual dictionaries!

In my experience, yumi->bow type translations while reading are OK, because the text provides the context,
so the dictionary doesn't need to. Assuming you are understanding most of what the text is saying, you should
be able to figure out what the word means.

Lookups in bilingual dictionaries are also faster, and many monolingual dictionaries can be as hard to understand
as the text you're reading. But, they also supply more accurate information, and they keep you in the flow of
using the target language as a native would. So both are useful. The bull I believed was that you should start
using exclusively monolingual dictionaries as soon as you can, even if you don't understand all the definitions
and it slows you down.

Getting through the reading is much more important. Now I switch to monolingual dictionaries only when the
definitions are effortlessly comprehensible to me, which is a pretty advanced level, although it also depends a lot
on the dictionary.

When it's a specific place/animal/thing/person, I usually use Wikipedia or sometimes Google Image search to
translate it. Dictionaries aren't really good for that.

Edited by robarb on 23 June 2015 at 7:16pm

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5127 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 39 of 94
23 June 2015 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Dictionaries are a means for understanding the text you're reading fully.

Reading texts which you fully understand while gradually adding more complexity is the way you learn a language.

Anything else is irrelevant. I use both monolingual and bilingual dictionaries according to availability and quality.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5548 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 40 of 94
23 June 2015 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Reading texts which you fully understand while gradually adding more complexity is the way you learn a language.

I'd like to observe you interact with native speakers. Must be a pleasant sight.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version