15 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
pagare
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3512 days ago

16 posts - 15 votes
Studies: English

Message 1 of 15
19 June 2015 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
When I read or listen to L2 I treat L1 as the "big brother" meaning I feel like only know the full meaning of
something if I can translate it to English my mother tongue. Is this normal? Should L1 be the validator of my
proficiency in understanding the meaning of something?I have been trying to learn Italian
for 2 years as much as I can. Some days I feel stronger than others. I recently have tried to read in Italian but
the "only way I feel" like I know the what the words/sentences "truly" mean is if I "convert" then to English
first. It feels wrong. How do I "know" if I "know" a word. Is it a feeling or do a need an L1 validation to know
that I know it. Sorry if I am babbling but it is really bothering me. How do you "feel" the L2 and completely
ignore the L1? It's like I can't help it.

Edited by pagare on 19 June 2015 at 4:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3278 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 2 of 15
19 June 2015 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
In my experience, it came with time. Once I got German to the B1 level and started
reading and watching TV shows more, I found that my English base started to dissolve away
by itself, and seeing the word "Kinder" would render an image of children without needing
to translate German Kinder -> English Children -> concept or image in my mind of
children.

Don't let it bother you, just keep on truckin'.

Edited by rtickner on 19 June 2015 at 4:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

pagare
Joined 3512 days ago

16 posts - 15 votes

Message 3 of 15
19 June 2015 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
To add on sometimes it's even a split second thought in English while listening and reading

Edited by pagare on 19 June 2015 at 4:19am

pagare
Joined 3512 days ago

16 posts - 15 votes

Message 4 of 15
19 June 2015 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
rtickner wrote:
In my experience, it came with time. Once I got German to the B1 level and started
reading and watching TV shows more, I found that my English base started to dissolve away
by itself, and seeing the word "Kinder" would render an image of children without needing
to translate German Kinder -> English Children -> concept or image in my mind of
children.

Don't let it bother you, just keep on truckin'.

Thank you for this.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 5 of 15
19 June 2015 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
I actually end up not being able to translate even my own thinking process from one language to another. For me it's just a feeling. Think, think, think and one day you'll realise that it's getting easier to do, and the thoughts become better structured.
3 persons have voted this message useful

pagare
Joined 3512 days ago

16 posts - 15 votes

Message 6 of 15
19 June 2015 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
I actually end up not being able to translate even my own thinking process from one
language to another. For me it's just a feeling. Think, think, think and one day you'll realise that it's getting
easier to do, and the thoughts become better structured.

Can you explain what you mean by not being able to translate? And always what the "think think think"
means? I understand what you are saying on the surface... And thanks for the reply

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 7 of 15
19 June 2015 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
I mean exactly the thing I have written, I can't just translate what I think in one language to another effortlessly. Almost everything that I write here in English I would not translate easily into Russian because I do most of my studies through L2 and
normally I just don't think about language learning in Russian.
Of course, technically I can translate, maybe, but it's not like I just push a button.
However, this happens more often when I read, I must admit.
Thinking is the easiest output action. One should start doing it as earlier as possible and not underestimate it. So think about stuff. Yeah, the structures will be wrong, the word choice would perhaps be weird, but this does improve, if you do actual language
studying, of course.
2 persons have voted this message useful

pagare
Joined 3512 days ago

16 posts - 15 votes

Message 8 of 15
19 June 2015 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
I mean exactly the thing I have written, I can't just translate what I think in one language
to another effortlessly. Almost everything that I write here in English I would not translate easily into Russian
because I do most of my studies through L2 and
normally I just don't think about language learning in Russian.
Of course, technically I can translate, maybe, but it's not like I just push a button.
However, this happens more often when I read, I must admit.
Thinking is the easiest output action. One should start doing it as earlier as possible and not underestimate it.
So think about stuff. Yeah, the structures will be wrong, the word choice would perhaps be weird, but this
does improve, if you do actual language
studying, of course.

Thanks

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version