Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 15
19 June 2015 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
I agree here.

Thinking in the language is a necessary prerequisite for any active skill. In many ways, it is the next step after translating everything. If you just know what is being said without disecting the sentences, it is a huge step forward and you are now more likely to get speaking in the language without the need to slowly construct your own sentences. However, it surely doesn't hurt to always learn more vocabulary explicitely.

There are basically two ways to continue from where you are and they can be combined any way you see fit:

1.intensive reading/listening
Take a book and translate every word you feel insecure about. Watch the amount of such words decline and look forward to the days you won't feel bad about not knowing translation of a word because such a word will be just one on a page. The progress should initially be quite fast. Some learners, if I remember correctly, have reported huuuuuge progress just after six or seven books.

2.extensive reading/listening
Get used to not knowing a perfect translation right away, learn from the context. Get exposed to words in their natural setting, learn their meanings as they come up. Don't look up words you don't exactly know, just more or less, devour more content instead and the words will stick. The progress may appear slower at first, the approach appears lazy. But it is not. The amount of input is the key, that's why we've got the Super Challenge.

From my experience, the extensive approach leads more directly to thinking in the language. However, the intensive approach, if you are the type of learner who won't find it boring and tiring, can lead to faster growth of vocabulary and you can probably jump over the gap to thinking in the language quite fast later on.

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 15
19 June 2015 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
Thinking is the easiest output action. One should start doing it as earlier as possible and not underestimate it. So think about stuff. Yeah, the structures will be wrong, the word choice would perhaps be weird, but this does improve, if you do actual language studying, of course.

This is also my position. If you can recall a few words then try to use them in simple constructions in your mind - not necessarily in full sentences. It is easier to do this right after you have heard or read something in the language in question, but if you are sitting in for instance in a car or train and see a tree then try to think "green tree to the left" or "there was a tree there" or whatever. The important thing is to establish the habit, and you can think more elaborate thoughts later. Luckily no one can hear or see what you think.
5 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3329 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 11 of 15
19 June 2015 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
To promote thinking in the language you're learning, write a simple journal each day. Since it's just for your own use, you don't have to worry too much about grammar, spelling, or word choice, etc. For example, if you don't know the word for something, you just invent a new word or use a different word that you do know:

ik heb sinaasappelzap, Jupiler's en peanuts gekocht

This entry demonstrates a few things: 1. Spelling doesn't matter for thinking. I thought of the word 'sinaasappelsap' but instead I wrote 'zap'. It's a mistake I probably made because of the sounds in this language vs. the sounds I was expecting. Anyway, with practice it will get better.

2. Knowing how to say a word in another language is not the same as familiarity with the thing. For example, what's a Jupiler? It's the sort of thing that you either know or you don't.

3. If I forgot a word in the target language I just write a different word that I know. ik heb peanuts gekocht makes perfect sense to me, even if my Dutch teacher complains.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 19 June 2015 at 1:12pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 15
19 June 2015 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
If you are French you can even substitute jus d'orange for sinaasappelsap and actually
get away with it since it's a colloquial synonym in Dutch. Pronounced almost as ju-de-
rans. :D

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4077 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 13 of 15
20 June 2015 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Translating L2->-L1 in a conversation and then having to respond translating by L1->L2
is not only highly inefficient but unnatural. Thinking in L2 is definitely a
requisite, it must become the primary language. You cannot think in English over and
over, you have to block English. Two ways is to form a mental image of thoughts in the
L2 so that the mental picture corresponds to L2 instead of L1. Experiences in real
life with L2 also help to tie it into the L2 instead of L1.

If I say, "I eat a sandwich" and try to translate this in English to L2 this is
useless to me. If I form a mental image of the sandwich and see myself sitting down I
would do it in L2 and I can see that this experience ties with L2.

Using English to translate is voluntary, and it cannot be allowed to be like some
addiction. One must think in the L2 even if blank spots appear, fill in the spots even
if it takes seconds and eventually the time gap decreases. No native speaker of
another language grows up trying to fill in the gaps in their thoughts by thinking,
"Damn I need English to express what I want to say properly", so neither should an L2
learner.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 15
20 June 2015 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
No native speaker of another language grows up trying to fill in the gaps in their thoughts by thinking, "Damn I need English to express what I want to say properly", so neither should an L2 learner.

Actually that's pretty common among those who use English a lot, especially in various technical areas. But of course the conclusion is not that it's okay. If anything, you should aim to think so easily in L2 that sometimes L2 expressions come up while thinking in L1 because they happen to be more precise. And arguably you should aim to use English words/expressions less than native speakers do.

I don't necessarily agree that you should aim to think in the language as early as possible. When it's thinking as opposed to translating, yes, but if you focus on passive skills, it's fine not to pressure thinking until it comes naturally with enough input.

I tend to think there are (at least) two types of learners, those who (can) create a mental reflection/system while having input and those who need to try out everything immediately.

Edited by Serpent on 20 June 2015 at 10:13pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 15 of 15
24 June 2015 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
I think you simplify the theory to an input/output system too much. There's much more
complex things going on involving all kinds of strange feedback loops. Thinking in L2
means that you have part of the internal machinery working, but whether it comes out
right is another story.

But for it to come out right you certainly need working machinery, so it's a good sign.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version