Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 3786 days ago

16 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, Italian, French, English
Studies: German

Message 9 of 19
25 June 2015 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
@ Cavesa: Thank you for these titles! It will be a good start for me since I don't know
any French series. I will try to include them in my learning program.

Polars are great source of colloquial language. I read them in Italian - can't wait to
try one in French also! Fred Vargas might be first on the list.
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 19
26 June 2015 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Cavesa, Robierre: Do you have any recommendations for polar/giallo novels in French and Italian? I've only read a few: Debout les morts by Vargas (decent but not amazing, although I plan to try a couple of her other books); Voci by Dacia Maraini (good, but more social commentary than "pure" detective novel); Una storia semplice by Leonardo Sciascia (quick and fairly enjoyable read but it didn't really grip me).

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3997 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 11 of 19
26 June 2015 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Cavesa, Robierre: Do you have any
recommendations for polar/giallo novels in French
and Italian? I've only read a few: Debout les morts
by Vargas (decent but not amazing, although I plan
to try a couple of her other books); Voci by Dacia
Maraini (good, but more social commentary than
"pure" detective novel); Una storia semplice by
Leonardo Sciascia (quick and fairly enjoyable read
but it didn't really grip me).

What about "Il commissario Montalbano" by Andrea
Camilleri? There's also a tv series, which I love.
Be warned though: a lot of Sicilian will be spoken.

garyb
Triglot
Joined 4989 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 12 of 19
26 June 2015 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
I've seen quite a bit of the TV series and enjoyed it, although with all the Sicilian it's pretty difficult without subtitles! I've been a bit reluctant to check out the novels for the same reason, potentially a lot of dialect, but I might try one out sometime and see how it goes. I suppose they have to be accessible to Italians from outside Sicily so it can't be too bad.

Robierre
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 3786 days ago

16 posts - 29 votes

Message 13 of 19
26 June 2015 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
@ garyb: I can recommend you Gianrico Carofiglio - he is easy to read, funny,
intelligent and I liked his books very much. Two of his gialli that I read are:
Testimone inconsapevole and Le perfezioni provisorie. I also read his novel Una notte
a Bari, which is not a crime-novel.

Films about Montalbano, including the new series called Il giovane Montalbano, are
simply beautiful: complex characters, interesting dialogues, humor, idyllic scenes of
Sicily... Andrea Camilleri is not just scrittore dei gialli, he really has an
impressive cultural background.

Here you can find some other popular writers of crime-fiction:
Polar italien

Edited by Robierre on 26 June 2015 at 8:58pm

Robierre
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 3786 days ago

16 posts - 29 votes

Message 14 of 19
27 June 2015 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Week 2

IT
My end of course exam was a good excuse to review some grammar. One of my favorite
grammar textbooks is L'Italien pour tous (Ed. Becherelle) - written for French
speakers with B2 level in Italian. The reason I like it so much is because it is based
on simple sentences written in both French and Italian. An interesting way to compare
grammatical structures; for example:
Via via che si invecchia, si diventa più apprensivi.
A mesure qu'on vieillit, on devient plus anxieux.

From this simple sentence you can learn a lot: the French expression "à mesure que"
(as) has a completely different meaning from "dans la mesure où" (insofar as), the
Italian expression "via via" is a synonym of man mano, the difference in the use of
forma impersonale (si invecchia vs. on viellit) and some new vocabulary (apprensivo -
which reminds me on its French sibling appréhensif).

My grammar review was this time focused on proposizioni subordinate (avversative,
causali, comparative, concessive, temporali ecc.) with a touch of concordanze dei
tempi.

The exam. I love the exams because they always put you under pressure to give the best
of you; suddenly all your hidden knowledge gets out of your head somehow. On the test
it was written the remark "C.2.1.", which is already a heavy burden; I don't consider
myself to be at C2 level, but I can accept the qualification "basic fluency (work in
progress)". The listening part was easy: 5 minutes recording of a minister speaking on
the radio about the new ant-corruption legislation. The reading comprehension was also
piece of cake - three pages from the book written by the journalist Oriana Fallaci.
The essay was to write about the influence of new media and internet on reading and
literature (one 300 words page; quite easy also). The grammar exercises were easy for
me except the verb exercise (concordanza) which I found to be the most difficult part
of the exam (sentences with missing verbs where you have to choose the correct tense
and conjugate the verb: passato remoto, congiuntivo, varoius past tenses etc.). The
oral presentation is scheduled for the next week.

To forget the tests, I did also one you-tube listening activity this week: Alessandro
Baricco talks 2 hours about Proust. Part 1.
Part 2. It might sound boring,
and probably it will be if you're not into literature, but for me it was pure
pleasure! Che meraviglia! He analyses complex sentences word by word in a very
interesting and simple way.

FR
Obviously it was not a French week this time. I tried to listen some of the series
proposed by my followers here (thank you all!) and I must say that it is just what I
needed. Kaamelott was quite demanding: the mixture of segments that I can understand
perfectly and the others that are totally incomprehensible.

Finally, here's my recommendation from this week's podcast: the story about the mythic
library La Hune, which is closing. La Hune

Edited by Robierre on 27 June 2015 at 2:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 19
27 June 2015 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Cavesa, Robierre: Do you have any recommendations for polar/giallo novels in French and Italian? I've only read a few: Debout les morts by Vargas (decent but not amazing, although I plan to try a couple of her other books); Voci by Dacia Maraini (good, but more social commentary than "pure" detective novel); Una storia semplice by Leonardo Sciascia (quick and fairly enjoyable read but it didn't really grip me).

Vargas is good but I'd say the books vary a lot. I've read a few and liked some more and some less.

I tried Simenon, who is a classic of polars, but I didn't like his style and the stories (I had hard time finishing one and left another in the middle, which is something I don't usually do. I was just really bored and annoyed). But the dislike was a matter of my personal taste, not lack of quality.

Grange is more of a thriller writer. However, the thrillers are well writen, include useful language, he is a good narrator and I really liked the stories.

Chattam belongs in several genres. While I love the most his postapocalyptic sci-fi/fantasy series Autremonde, most of his books are polars/thrillers. I've read only one so far and I liked it. I think he is a good choice.

When it comes to crime tv series, I can recommend as well Profilage. It is less "high drama" than Engrenages, there is more humour (but still huge cliffhangers and lots of character development). It is easier than Engrenage and it can be a good stepping stone towards it, but the language is the kind people use in everyday conversation.

garyb
Triglot
Joined 4989 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 16 of 19
29 June 2015 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the recommendations, Carofiglio sounds exactly what I was looking for! And it's a nice reminder to catch up on Montalbano, there are still some episodes I've not seen including the "giovane" ones.

"L'Italien pour tous" sounds really interesting too. When I started Italian I used the French edition of Assimil, and seeing the equivalent expressions and the similarities and differences between both languages was helpful and taught me a lot. Often I'm speaking one language, and the perfect expression for the situation in the other one comes to mind but I can't quite think of the equivalent.

I enjoyed Profilage too, overall it's not exactly in the same league as Engrenages and it can be a bit silly at times (judging by the first series, the only one I've seen) but it's certainly easier and has more everyday language.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version