Joined 3456 days ago

22 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 17 of 19
25 June 2015 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
A good way to practice the non-essential cases is to work on
practicing subordinate clauses. You can post those same sentences as practice at lang-
8 for correction. You don't need to wait till something strikingly interesting happens
in your life to write at lang-8, or else I wouldn't be able to practice any of my
languages, for instance.

My wife uses lang-8 successfully. So, I'm pretty sure I can benefit from it too.
What I've started noticing that if I know all the words in one sentence I can pay
attention to grammar also.
I did overview of grammar at some point using "Finnish: Essential grammar" book. For
instance, I know that there are four types of infinitives and how some of them are
formed. So, when I see something that looks like infinitive I can try to recall that I
read before or if I don't recall I can go to "Essential grammar" and read about it.
It is what I intend to use in the nearest few months. Kind of, passive grammar
acquisition.
I live in Finland and I see quite many expats who visit different kind of classes
on Finnish. Most of those classes are build around grammar and expressing oneself in
different situations. From what I see people visit these classes for years without
visible results. So, I'm a bit skeptical about approaching Finnish from this side.

Edited by roni on 25 June 2015 at 3:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

roni
Diglot
Finland
Joined 3456 days ago

22 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 18 of 19
25 June 2015 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
But yeah get the book Kato hei (available in Uzbekistan) and maybe
something about the dialects.

Seems like a good book. From which level would you recommend it? Should I have solid B1
for instance before I approach it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 19
25 June 2015 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Not really, it starts out as fairly basic. Of course you'll be able to get more out of it as your standard Finnish improves, but it's certainly worth a try already now.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version