Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 25 of 28
25 June 2015 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
The differences between national varieties of Spanish may not inhibit mutual comprehension,
but what does sound right in one variety may sound odd and not idiomatic in another variety,
for example ''coche guapo'' would sound strange in Argentina, just as much as ''auto lindo'' would sound in Spain.
And there are in-numerous grammar differences:

in Madrid:
¿Ya ha llegado ella? - Espero que llegara ayer.

in Buenos Aires:
¿Ya llegó ella? - Espero que haya llegado ayer.

''as soon as'' is NADA MÁS (+infinitive) in Spain, and APENAS (+ subjunctive for future or +indicative for past) in Argentina.
''after he arrived'' is ''después de que haya llegado'' in Spain, and ''después de que llegó'' in Argentina
etc.

In Argentina, imperfect is never used instead of conditional:

In Buenos Aires: si tuviese/tuviera dinero, me lo compraría
In Madrid: si tuviera dinero, me lo compraba/compraría

''estoy con sueño'', ''soy casado'' and ''España es lejos'' are grammatical in Argentine Spanish
(used along with ''tengo sueño'', ''estoy casado'' and '"España está/queda lejos'' but
are not used much in Spain except for Galicia).

guapo means brave or bully in Argentina and does not mean beautiful (lindo is used for beautiful):
''el guapo del barrio'' the bad guy of the block

ruta is a road in Argentina, but it's only a route in other countries:
- Ocho de cada diez conductores no respetan la distancia entre autos en la ruta.

''parado'' means unemployed in Spain, but standing (on feet) in Argentina
etc.

Prepositional adjectives (such as ''delante suyo'', ''más cerca tuyo'') are considered standard in Argentina, and they appear even in formal writing, but are rejected in Castillian writing for being ''slangy'' and too colloquial.

The verbal conjugation is also different:
in Buenos Aires: soy, sos, es, somos, son, son
in Madrid: soy, eres, es, somos, sois, son

Edited by Medulin on 25 June 2015 at 11:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5577 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 26 of 28
26 June 2015 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
It's easy to make too much of this sort of thing. I used to talk to the reception staff at the place I worked for 9
months (I worked there until a few weeks ago and am now back in the UK). 1 was an Argentinian lady, 1 was
Polish and the rest Spanish. It was noticeable how little difficulty the natives had adapting to each other's
dialects TBH. They knew I wanted to learn both varieties and so even used to tease each other in front of me
about some of the things you talk about above, and others such as laísmo in Madrid (which I myself, as a
learner, found very strange whenever I heard it)

TBH the same thing happens in English. I say "the car needs washed", the locals where I live use the the
Standard English pattern of "the car needs washing"; conversely they say things like "it were" (I'm not talking
about conditional sentences here) or "9 while 5" and I use the patterns from Standard English. Such things
sound really strange when you notice them (which as a learner you do) but the truth is that natives quickly
adapt so that after a short while they don't really notice them.

In my experience "si tuviese" is far more likely to be used by a madrileño than by an Argentinian. I think you
maybe meant the other way round from what you wrote.

Portuguese (which I know is your passion) is very different from English and Spanish in that respect IMO.
There the choice of which dialect to learn is very important

Edited by Random review on 26 June 2015 at 1:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5577 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 27 of 28
26 June 2015 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
In fact some of the locals where I live even conjugate their verbs differently when speaking colloquially ;-)

Tha goes/ tha does/tha knows/etc versus (standard) you go/you do/you know/etc. And they have a different
definite article (a glottal stop instead of the Standard English "the".

Person 1: I were right tired from working down ' pit 8 while 10 and I told 'im: "tha wants a smack tha does."
Person 2: Tha does right, get 'im tellt!

I would say:

Person 1: I was really tired from working in the pit from 8 till 10 and I told him: "you need a smack, so you do."
Person 2: Quite right, you tell him!

Edited by Random review on 26 June 2015 at 1:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4543 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 28 of 28
26 June 2015 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:

Portuguese is very different from English and Spanish in that respect IMO.
There the choice of which dialect to learn is very important

It is not.
The official grammar is the same in Brazil and in Portugal,
and now the spelling has been unified.

All people in Portugal enjoy watching Brazilian soap operas (without subtitling)
and Portuguese authors like Saramago are read in Brazil without modification (this is different than in English,
Harry Potter books were translated in the US).

The Voice Kids featured Angola's Anselmo Ralph and Brazilian Daniela Mercury,
along with voice coaches from Portugal.

Edited by Camundonguinho on 26 June 2015 at 5:14pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version