905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 6
26 June 2015 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys, has anyone tried here to learn a language
using parallel text from the first very moment? Is
it a viable solution or it is to slow? How far can
one go in 50 hours of this kind of study?
Let's say with an opaque language.
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5157 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 6
26 June 2015 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
There have been some discussions about James Hamilton's method and his interlinear resources. He produced language learning resources based on using interlinear texts. You can find some of his texts available free online because he made them a hundred or so years ago. I have one of them and it is a pretty cool method. The search function is broken for me right now, but I remember some threads about this sort of method.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 3 of 6
26 June 2015 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
For me they are useful only starting from an A2 level, and with easier texts. Before this point it kills my motivation because there is too much to figure out at each sentence. Of course if you are talking about similar, transparent languages (like your next Romance language) you have a headstart of at least a B1 reading level, so you may start with parallel reading right away and you'll rather be be tired of it and stick to native material only after a while (my third French book, if I remember it correctly).
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 4 of 6
27 June 2015 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
Wikisource article that covers
the Hamiltonian method

This is a more
complete pdf describing the Hamiltonian Method
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 6
27 June 2015 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
I prefer LR and Ilya Frank method (each paragrah is printed twice, with annotations and without, and you're supposed to read both). I tend to use these very early, but I've not tried that in opaque languages yet.

The main alternative are of course easy texts that don't require translations, and they are likely to cover more useful material but tend to be less interesting.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5338 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 6 of 6
27 June 2015 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
Well-aligned parallel text with an engaging storyline or theme can be a highly effective tool for learning languages when combined with active listening and reading.

Although I've since moved on from the "study and click" method, it did turn out to be a very fast and viable method of developing reading proficiency from scratch in a short experiment I did 5 years ago.

Over a period of 2-3 weeks (19 days, 55 hours), my vocabulary level jumped from 31% to 95% using little more than a parallel text and accompanying audio for studying (“Harry Potter och de vises sten”), and a separate novel for crudely approximating my lexical coverage at the end of each day for the experiment (“Män som hatar kvinnor”).

Besides a few introductory lessons of Pimsleur on a short flight once (and I think that was a good 5 years before the experiment), this was the first time I had ever studied or worked with Swedish.

Given the similarities between Germanic languages, being both an English and German speaker beforehand definitely lent a helping hand here (hence the 31% at the start). So I can't confidently say whether it would work for more "opaque" languages or languages that do not align with English quite so smoothly. However I was still surprised how quickly everything fell into place given a highly erratic average of 2-3 hours' study a day, and all whilst finding myself slap bang in the middle of a chaotic maelstrom of relocating back to England from Germany and hopping between hotels.

Here are my posts for the experiment for anyone who's interested:
- Dreams of Valhalla (HTLAL log)
- Dreams of Valhalla (personal blog)

Edited by Teango on 27 June 2015 at 5:41am

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version