Diglot
Spain
Joined 3694 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 1 of 7
27 June 2015 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Where could I find a helpful website to watch French videos with subtitles? I'm sorry
if this question has already been asked on this forum... but I need to improve my french
listening comprehension and I've come to the conclusion that the only way to do it is by
watching movies with French subtitles. I try to listen to French podcasts quite
frequently, but it's not enough to make progress because I cannot understand all the
words that are said, so I'm going to start watching movies with French subtitles. I've
used websites such as Coursera, Ted, etc, to improve my English listening comprehension
thanks to subtitles, but I'm not able to find any appropriate website to do the same with
French. All the videos I watch in French are without subtitles. Could
someone recommend to me an appropriate website?

Thank you!

Edited by FromSpain on 28 June 2015 at 8:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3694 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 2 of 7
28 June 2015 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
I need help, please :)

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3703 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 3 of 7
28 June 2015 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
check out FluentU and Yabla, both have French and are designed for language learners with a bunch of features.

There's also Netflix (I'm not sure if they have this in Spain). You can watch movies meant for native French speakers; I would imagine that many of them have subtitles in Spanish, but definitely English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3694 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 4 of 7
29 June 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
Thank you! I will give them a try.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 7
29 June 2015 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
This question comes up very often, so we made a Wiki page on French movies and series with accurate subtitles. It's not too extensive or up to date but it could get you started. Various members including me have had success improving listening comprehension by following the transcripts of dubbed series like The Simpsons and Buffy.

Netflix is a good option if you can make it think you're accessing it from France, then you get a bunch of series and films with French subtitles. For example it has all the seasons of a sitcom Fais pas ci, fais pas ça with French subs. I don't know whether you can sign up from Spain: it's not available there as a region but maybe you can sign up for another region, it's worth investigating.
3 persons have voted this message useful

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3694 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 6 of 7
30 June 2015 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
I was looking for something like that. Thanks!

rlnv
United States
Joined 3747 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 7 of 7
18 July 2015 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
Some more.

Gainsbourg - Vie Héroïque: This movie has extremely accurate subtitles. Better yet the timing is just as accurate. The best I've seen.

The four Eric Rohmer movies in the series Contes des quatre saisons (Conte de printemps, Conte d'été, Conte d'automne, Conte d'hiver) have accurate subtitles, but the timing is off often. These movies have probably been published on DVD from multiple distributors. The ones I have are part of a complete DVD set of Eric Rohmer movies from a Chinese publisher. Some of the other movies in the set also had decent subtitles. Look on eBay for a complete box set

Edited by rlnv on 18 July 2015 at 6:13am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version