14 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 14
29 June 2015 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
I have an immense respect for emk and iguanamon but let's please stay on track. Much like Josquin, I used to be fine with the average textbooks, but now I just can't stand them. I'm glad for those that can combine boring textbooks with fun native content.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5022 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 10 of 14
29 June 2015 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
My two favorite ways of learning language are both in Latin.

Lingua Latina is a series of books that is written entirely in Latin, but use pictures to introduce new vocabulary, and then use that basic vocabulary to introduce increasingly difficult grammatical patterns. What makes it fun is that the book also tells a story, starting with the introduction of the setting, then a family, then the life of that family and related characters. So one starts with simple sentences such as "Roma in Italia est" and by the final chapter the characters are discussing poetry with each other, such that one finds themselves learning the basics of dactyllic hexameter (not to mention how to form the nearly obsolete future imperative!). This without a single word word in English.

Wheelock's uses plenty of English, but I also enjoy it. As soon as possible, Wheelock's begins including in each chapter native material (slightly dumb-downed when necessary, but in the later chapters, verbatim quotations become more plentiful). Not to be missed is the accompanying volume (called something like Scribes and Scribblers). This follows the outline of the main text, but uses actual inscriptions to supplement that teaching. These range from comical engravings recovered from Pompeii, to heart-breaking funeral orations found inscribed on period tombs.
3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4315 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 11 of 14
29 June 2015 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
My two favorite ways of learning language are both in Latin.

Lingua Latina is a series of books that is written entirely in Latin, ...

Books from the same publisher are also available for English, French and Italian.
Same concept, but different story of course.

I found it a bit boring in French, so I didn't get very far...
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5326 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 14
29 June 2015 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I have an immense respect for emk and iguanamon but let's please stay on track. Much like Josquin, I used to be fine with the average textbooks, but now I just can't stand them. I'm glad for those that can combine boring textbooks with fun native content.

I'm really sorry if I annoyed you! For whatever it might be worth, I wasn't trying to derail the thread at all. I was actually trying to answer the original question as literally as I could:

Zegpoddle wrote:
What are the most enjoyable language-learning materials you have ever used?

By enjoyable I mean: fun, entertaining, motivating, absorbing, compelling, addictive. Please note that
this is a more specific question than "What is your favorite learning program?" and it is entirely
different from asking about the most effective/efficient/useful/practical/successful tools you have used.

This was all stated in terms of "materials" and "programs" and "tools", and not in terms of courses. If you do want to limit it to language textbooks, then like I said, I find Assimil can be pleasantly amusing. I wouldn't call it "compelling" or "addictive", except in so far as I can see progress. But it's the progress that keeps me going, not the dry jokes.

Besides Assimil, I've mostly enjoyed textbooks when they get to native materials as quickly as possible. Several popular Latin textbooks are actually pretty good at this; I remember being given slanderous poems by Catullus. Similarly, I've seen some graded readers that looked reasonably interesting, and Destinos was fun when I tried a couple of episodes. But in the end, Avatar: la leyenda de Aang and a deck of subs2srs cards was the single most entertaining and addictive thing I've ever tried at the beginner level. If somebody wants "compelling" and "addictive", it might be worth looking at more than just traditional textbooks, courses and tapes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5022 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 13 of 14
29 June 2015 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks daegga! I had no idea.
1 person has voted this message useful

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4353 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 14 of 14
30 June 2015 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I enjoyed Extra auf Deutsch and Grüße aus Deutschland quite a bit. They're both just the right amount of silliness without being too over the top or trying too hard. There are a lot of free resources for that level of German out there, but most of them were pretty painful to use besides these two.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version