lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4308 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 9 of 20
01 July 2015 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:

EDIT: Re Old-Norse being the only one worth learning for its literature. Maybe the
Modern-English translators have been playing a massive practical joke on us
by presenting their own original masterpieces as translations, but I think the more
likely explanation is that Old-English is eminently worth learning :)

I can't think of anything other than Beowulf I would want to read in Old English. Any
other suggestions (be it in modern translation or not)?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 20
01 July 2015 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
diplomaticus wrote:
Just curiosity. Other than Latin or Ancient Greek, I never really
hear of people studying
the antecedents to modern languages, really.

Sanskrit? Classical Arabic? Classical Chinese? Old Tibetan? Ancient Egyptian?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4676 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 11 of 20
01 July 2015 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
The other European language ancestors didn't have a written literature, so there's not
much for an amateur to study.

Even Beowulf is relative recent compared to Greek and Roman literature - it was written
down in the Christian era, even though the poem itself is probably much older. A friend
from Iceland says Old English is close enough to Icelandic that he can read Beowulf
without a dictionary. If this works in reverse (if he's even telling the truth), maybe
you could jump into the Norse sagas.

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4425 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 12 of 20
01 July 2015 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
I can't think of anything other than Beowulf I would want to read in Old English. Any
other suggestions (be it in modern translation or not)?

The Seafarer (Pound's translation is brilliant), The Wanderer, the poems of Cynewulf, lots of people seem interested in the riddles though I don't
really get it. There's a good book of verse translations called The Oldest English Poems by Michael Alexander, here's an excerpt of his "The
Battle of Maldon":

Courage shall grow keener, clearer the will,
The heart fiercer, as our force faileth.
Here our lord lies levelled in the dust,
the man all marred: he shall mourn to the end
who thinks to wend off from his war-play now.
Though I am white with winters I will not away,
for I think to lodge me alongside my dear one,
lay me down by my lord's white hand.

Edited by AlexTG on 01 July 2015 at 4:55am

2 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4846 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 13 of 20
01 July 2015 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
My understanding is that the old Germanic languages (eg Old Saxon, Old Norse, Old English,
Old High German) have a lot of mutual intelligibility between each
other. So you could study one of them and move outwards from there fairly easily.

I haven't studied any of them though and I'm interested to see if what I've said can be confirmed or corrected by
someone with more knowledge.

I don't read any of those languages, but you can see for yourself, when the same text has been translated into
Old English / Icelandic, they come out quite similar, maybe roughly on the level of German and Dutch:

http://www.pagef30.com/2009/03/similarities-between-old-engl ish-anglo.html

Gothic, an extinct East Germanic language, though, is rather different. At a glance of a Gothic text, you can see
that it would not likely have been readily comprehensible to a speaker of Old Norse or Old English.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5095 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 14 of 20
01 July 2015 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
diplomaticus wrote:
Just curiosity. Other than Latin or Ancient Greek, I never really hear of people studying the antecedents to modern languages, really.

Sanskrit? Classical Arabic? Classical Chinese? Old Tibetan? Ancient Egyptian?

In Hong Kong we study a little bit of classical Chinese, but not as a separate subject like how western countries study Latin, and it's not taught as a language. The whole secondary school Chinese syllabus is really a Chinese literature syllabus, and consists of excerpts from famous books and authors, some modern, some classical. So, we understand the ones we did learn and can often recite them, but with others we're probably just at 30%-50% comprehension.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 15 of 20
01 July 2015 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
There are many people in western countries that have never studied Latin or Ancient Greek
either, so...

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 20
01 July 2015 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Before Old Norse there was a language stage commonly named as Proto-Norse ('urnordisk' in Danish), but contrary to most protos this one is attested in inscriptions on runic stones, tools and other objects back to 160 AD. This was even before Gothic, and the two are clearly distinct so the split between Eastern Germanic and Northern and Western Germanic must have occured even earlier. But there is nothing in Proto-Norse that equals Wulfila's Bible translation from the 4. century A.C. (and even less the avalanche of Latin or Greek writings from the same period). However for language buffs it is interesting to compare Proto-Norse with the later Old Norse language ('oldnordisk' in Danish), which is amply illustrated by literature and other writings from around the 8. century and up to somewhere around 1500 AD (where it already had been superseded by the older forms of Danish, Swedish etc.).

The Proto-Norse inscriptions were written in the socalled Elder Futhark, which had more letters than the later Futhark. And the language itself was also much more long-winded than Old Norse. Furthermore it seems that even the scholars have difficulty interpreting some words and formaulations in this language.

The most famous inscription by far in Proto-Nordic was written on a golden horn made around 400 AD (later stolen and melted down):

ek HlewagastiR holtijaR* horna tawidō.

in Old Norse, Modern Icelandic and Danish it would be

Ek Hlégestr Hyltir* táða hornit.
Ég Hlégestur Hyltir* gerði hornið.
Jeg Lægæst fra Holte* gjorde hornet

* this genitive form could indicate the home (place name or 'from the wood(s)) or maybe the name of the father of mister HlewagastiR - nobody knows for sure.

Many of the irregularities of Old Norse and the later Nordic languages become understandable when you know the forms of the preceding stage. But you wouldn't want to sit down to relax with the extant inscriptions, and even if you can read Old Norse you may have problems reading Proto-Nordic. Just as you will have problems reading Gothic,and at about the same level.

As for the later step, I have studied Modern Icelandic for some time and also to some extent Old Norse, and I can read most things I see in both languages, including poetry (though with the caveat that the poems are full of obscure references to other poems, including lost ones). When I first saw Beowulf I was baffled, but now I have learned to more or less understand the beast, though I still use bilingual printouts for the purpose. However I have also studied some chronicles in Anglosaxon prose, and they are easier. I have also read prose writings from 800-1000 in Old Saxon (the 'continental' parallel to Anglosaxon and predecessor of Low German, Platt), and it is not much harder to deal with than Anglosaxon. But equally boring.

PS: The Battle of Maldon in Old English has made it to the hallowed halls of Youtube

Edited by Iversen on 01 July 2015 at 1:25pm

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version