Language Learning Forum : Members profiles Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
IncognitoGH
United Kingdom
Joined 3191 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes

Message 1 of 9
05 July 2015 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
A big hello to everyone on the forum. I'm George, and I'm from the UK. I'd like to participate and share my
experiences with learning languages.

On a side note, I'm currently learning Greek from scratch, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5865 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 2 of 9
05 July 2015 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Wecome to the Forum George!
Please tell us a bit more about yourself. Why are you learning Greek?...what learning materials are you using?....what are your goals?...etc.
Good luck with your studies.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 9
06 July 2015 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Also welcome from me.

I have been studying Greek for some time now, mostly from written sources, and it is a very interesting language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5135 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 9
06 July 2015 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Check out the Language Transfer Greek course. It is free online at languagetransfer.org and people say it is an absolutely perfect place to start.

IncognitoGH
United Kingdom
Joined 3191 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes

Message 5 of 9
06 July 2015 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Wecome to the Forum George!
Please tell us a bit more about yourself. Why are you learning Greek?...what learning materials are you using?....what
are your goals?...etc.
Good luck with your studies.

Thank you for your kind welcome. I'm learning Greek for a number of reasons. Mainly through my love of history,
but also to be able to communicate there. Learning materials... not any good ones to say the least! If anyone has any
good materials then please let me know. I don't have a goal, I find they limit you to an extent.

Thank you!

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 4988 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 6 of 9
06 July 2015 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, well historical Greek comes in several flavors, which will have to be studied separately. Thus people will say they're learning Ancient Greek (Homer's Greek) or Koine Greek (the language of the New Testament) or Byzantine Greek or Modern Greek. These are all different. So first you've got to pick which Greek you want to learn.

IncognitoGH
United Kingdom
Joined 3191 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes

Message 7 of 9
07 July 2015 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Hmm, well historical Greek comes in several flavors, which will have to be studied
separately. Thus people will say they're learning Ancient Greek (Homer's Greek) or Koine Greek (the language of the
New Testament) or Byzantine Greek or Modern Greek. These are all different. So first you've got to pick which Greek
you want to learn.

I've chosen Modern Greek, sorry if that wasn't made clear, I just love the history of the country. That plays a big part
in me wanting to learn Modern Greek.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 4988 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 8 of 9
07 July 2015 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Ah, got you. Good luck!

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version