marklewis1234
United States
Joined 5108 days ago

32 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 2
05 July 2015 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Hello,
Has anyone used the above company for a Spanish learning holiday. Can you give any tips /
reviews / advice on what it was like. I am thinking of doing one in Granada.
If any of you have taken similar trips with different companies, I would also be
interested to hear what they were like and whether you would recommend them.
Many thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 2
06 July 2015 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I have experience with intensive classes of German in Berlin and I've looked at the website, so it is still not direct experience with the company, but:

1.First problem: The website doesn't tell you anything about the language school (at least in the example offers I looked at), you cannot therefore find references, you get no info on their methodology, number of students in class etc. You just know the number of lessons. Yes, they claim the school has got lots of accreditations but without knowing which school it is, you cannot find reviews on other places than this one website. And the "most informative" review in this case is like: "Awesome holiday and I learnt some Spanish". Sure, you could probably locate the school by googling all the info you are given together (such as the year of foundation, approximate location etc.) but is it worth the hassle? And does a company that actively keeps you from finding information (so that you wouldn't bypass them) is worthy of trust?

2.Second problem: The holiday is often not just about a language, which wouldn't be bad if you were mixing with locals during the other activities. But it doesn't look so. Yes, the classes (I am now looking at a flamenco course to get the idea) are only in Spanish, which actually sounds awesome. But will the other foreigners with you be talking only Spanish as well? Oh, now that I look at it, you can have a language only holiday but it is still just the same 20 lessons.

3.A great thing: Home stay is offered as one of the accomodation options, which is awesome, that tends to be among the most useful parts of any such experience! I can wholeheartedly recommend using this option, if you go for it.

4.My two cents of advice based on my experience
-classes are still classes. If you find this way of learning useful to you, go for it. If not, just having the class located in the country will change nothing about it.
-don't let the class or the country lull you into laziness, it still applies that the more efforts you put in, the more you get out of the whole experience
-choose based on the language school info, find out all the info you need.
-choose home stay, not accomodation with other foreigners
-prepare well beforehand, you'll get much more from the stay if you're already a bit further in your studies. I think paying for an abroad stay to get the real basics you could learn easily on your own, that is a waste of resources, but if you're rich and want that, there is no harm of course.
-in general, a good company selling summer classes will give you all the info you need and a direct link to every school they offer. Their main advantage is usually a better price, certainly not keeping customers in dark.

a few google results:
Enforex
Montalban
don quijote
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version