Armenian resources

Tags: Armenian | Resources
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4103 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 1 of 3
06 July 2015 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
I am looking for Armenian resources (dictionaries, grammar, textbooks, websites etc) for self-study purposes. Is there anyone who can suggest me resources for learning Modern Armenian?

I have been looking in the library the following books:

1 Eastern Armenian Comprehensive Self-Study Language Course by Avetisyan (2008);
2 Eastern Armenian For the English-Speaking World by Sakayan;
3 Beginner's Armenian hippocrene (2005);
4. Armenian For Everyone Western and Eastern Armenian in parallel lessons by Hagopian.
5. L'Armenien sans Peine : Armenian for French Speakers (1999)
I have heard that Assimil Armenian is not a good introductory book.

6. Modern Eastern Armenian (London Oriental and African language library)
This is a book designed for linguistic students of Armenian, though anyone can take a look on it. Does anybody know any other book that can be less difficult to digest and for beginner students? Any web sites?

The only grammar I got is Japanese-Armenian which seems good enough to start with.

The only problem is that all resources above don’t contain CDs. I asked the library what happened to the CDs, but the staff could not report me anything regarding the audio files. I am not sure whether it is worth paying for the materials which seems to arrive in 3 months (by ship!) just to get the CDs. I have never learned any modern language without audio, especially because it is more difficult for me to correct my mistakes regarding the pronunciation at a later stage of my studies.

Has anyone experienced learning a language without CDs at beginner level? Of course, I can get exposure of some Armenian songs, but it is not enough for me since it is different from the usual speech. There are some videos on Youtube introducing the alphabet, but when pronounced together it is different from the theory. I mean, there are phonological rules that make one diphthong or vowel in Armenian (I cannot type it here because I don’t have the Armenian fonts) change its sound depending on the position of the syllable in the word. For instance, at beginning and middle the word, it may be pronounced in one way, while in the end of the word might be pronounced with another sound quality.

Knowing the theory doesn’t mean that I will pronounce it correctly when I need speak with someone. Actually my current learning method includes lot of listening from the beginning which is one of the problems I will need to challenge if I decide to take Armenian seriously.

What are the strategies you guys would try if you were in my situation? Notice that I am not in a hurry to go to Armenia, though I have the preference to speak from early stages. I also don’t have preference to start with either Western Armenian or Eastern Armenian. It doesn’t make any difference.

Thanks in advance.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 2 of 3
06 July 2015 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Are you familiar with this site?
4 persons have voted this message useful

Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4103 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 3 of 3
06 July 2015 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator,

Thank your for sharing a link to learn Armenian. This is the type of website I was looking for. It seems to really good since it provides audio. I think after I finish everything, I won't mind taking a look on some of the resources I have, just for reading practice purposes before trying native resources.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version