Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
theyweed
Poland
Joined 3594 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 3
06 July 2015 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
I learn languages. I really do. Everyday I try to read an article in English, watch some funny German
sketches (Loriot!) or while away the hours in the toilet by maintaining my Chinese via SRS.
Nonetheless sometimes I have a nagging feeling. Feeling that I do everything, related to the language
learning, in a shambolic manner. Read one page here, listen to podcast there etc. But what’s the
point? What do I want to make of all these activities? It occurred to me that I need a plan. Something,
that would help me to avoid drifting purposelessly away from the shore (the vague Goal) and losing
motivation, which might happen if we just „learn for the sake of learning“.

Ok, so below I’d like to present you the 9 steps (the valuable questions, but there are more than 9 :D),
which you should consider in order to build a conscious language study plan. Hope this helps.

Here’s how the content will be presented:
Step:
My example:

What is my Goal? What do I want to accomplish? Determine your goal positively.     
I want a C1 level in English.

Elaborate on your Goal.
In order to get a C1 or make sure I really possess it I want to pass the CAE Exam (We know there is
C1 and C1, but that’s another topic :D)

Determine a deadline.
I’ll take my CAE Exam on 12.12.2015

Is it possible to accomplish the Goal self-reliantly or will I need an another person (people) (in other
awords: is my Goal independent from others?)

I’ll definitely need some tutoring in order to get a decent speaking practice.

What resources do I have at my disposal (knowledge, skills, character-traits, experience, matter),
which will help me to achieve my Goal?

I’ve already managed to push my English from B1 to B2 and learn two other languages to the level,
that allows me to hold a conversation, to read etc. I’m also persistent and have quite good time-
management skills [„psychical-resources“].
I’ve already purchased a CPE Use of English book, which was recommended by me friend, even
though I’m gonna tackle CAE. I also have the Naomi Klein’s book (reading) and have downloaded BLa
podcast (listening) [„physical-resources“].

What resources do I lack? What else has to be learnt? What else has to be done?
I have no experience in official tests. I have to download some in order to get used to their structure.

What will I do in order to accomplish the Goal?
While I drive I’ll listen to the podcast.
I’ll do one unit of CPE UoE a day, which should take me no more than 30-40m OR I’ll read a book for
the same span of time (while reading I’ll look carefully at how articles are used and how prepositions
are employed)
I’ll find a tutor for speaking, alternatively I’ll enroll to a course, which will give me a speaking practice
and will allow me to abandon point no.2.
I’ll do some SRSing (10 new, 10 review) while waiting for my water to boil etc.

What obstacles are there? What could disturb my Plan?
I’ll have to tackle my procrastination tendency. Probably I may encounter a „money-issue“.

What’s the first step?
DOWNLOAD A BLOODY, SAMPLE CAE PAPER!

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 3
07 July 2015 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Hi theyweed,

that sounds like a good goal for you, the CAE. :-)

I surely recommend getting some mock tests or a preparatory course, that really helps, even though it is possible to pass without it (like me). However, if you buy a preparatory course (which I recommend), make sure it is up to date. The exam changes in some ways (sometimes details, sometimes more substantial changes) every few years and the books get updated accordingly. (It is as well possible they change the exam in order to change the books so that they'd make more money, true)

A tutor can be helpful, however I'd advise against classes. A few friends of mine went to preparatory classes before CAE (or FCE or CPE) and vast majority of the time was being wasted on multiple choice exercises and such things, certainly not at speaking practice unfortunately.And they tend to be so expensive for a class that a tutor might even be a cheaper option. If you might have a problem with money, a group class is a waste, especially in this case.

I don't know what is your podcast like and that book you mentioned but it is a good thing to be used to various styles, genres and speakers when you are going to the exam. So, listening to tons of podcasts, movies and so on is a good way to prepare yourself. A good preparatory book can give you an idea about what topics to expect. I remember being a bit uncomfortable due to a task centered around a sport (I think it was something outdoorish, adrenaline filled, with equipment, I don't know anymore) and I know very little about sports in general, I don't read about them in any language.

About the books: while reading in general is awesome, there is one more bonus. When it comes to the writing part, you can choose a task based on a book. The book is always being known for months, or perhaps it changes only once a year, so you can prepare really well for the task, even though you don't know for sure what the particular instructions in your exam will be like.

About the speaking part of the exam: There is a catch. You are gonna be examined in a pair with another candidate. Someone you haven't seen in your life. Theoretically, classes should prepare people for that but none of my friends mentioned much practice being part of them. You'll need to speak on your own and as well "discuss" the topic with someone else and remember, one of the main things they are looking at is the interaction. It is not about destroying an opponent, it is about giving space, reacting, asking questions, politely disagreeing and so on. Any kind of speaking pracice, or interaction in general, may be helpful for this part. But if you are just unlucky to get someone you don't work well with (someone you wouldn't normally speak to, someone unpleasant, someone who is bad at the interactions and basically drags you to hell with them), you might still be a bit out of luck.

So, I wish you lots of energy and good luck in December!
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 3
08 July 2015 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
theyweed wrote:

Here’s how the content will be presented:
Step:
My example:

Great post. Let me try out your system.

What is my Goal? What do I want to accomplish? Determine your goal positively.     
I want to complete the Ten Year Reading Plan, focusing on English, French, and where suitable, Spanish.

Elaborate on your Goal.
Almost half of the Ten Year Reading Plan was originally written in English, French or Spanish. Other popular original tongues include Ancient Greek, Latin, German, and Russian. French and English should both be suitable substitutes for the languages not on my hit list. Not ideal, but the goal needs to be realistic.

Determine a deadline.
By April 2025, I should have been through all of the readings and recordings multiple times in at least English and French. Spanish will come into play too, but perhaps only will be about 10-20% of the total effort.

Is it possible to accomplish the Goal self-reliantly or will I need an another person (people) (in other awords: is my Goal independent from others?)
I can be mostly self sufficient. Others have published an enormous amount of material, but that work is largely complete. I may be able to influence a few recordings by developing a rapport with some of the donneurs/donneueses de voix from http://litteratureaudio.com/.

What resources do I have at my disposal (knowledge, skills, character-traits, experience, matter), which will help me to achieve my Goal?
http://Librivox.org/, http://litteratureaudio.com/, http://audiocite.net/, http://gutenberg.org/, and a host of other public domain sites.

As far as character traits, I am a good Stoic. The goal is very interesting and I believe the journey will enrich my life.

What resources do I lack? What else has to be learnt? What else has to be done?
I will gradually need to gather the readings/recordings, but that can be done as I go with just a bit of planning.

I will need to continue to advance my French independently of the main goal. FSI French and a bit of Assimil should provide the bulk of the additional language amelioration required.

What will I do in order to accomplish the Goal?
I've started the year one readings and recordings. I've gone through some of the recordings and edited them according to my preference. I'll have to create a lot of bilingual texts. I will need to utilize a good bit of my time in the car on the recordings. Several mornings each week, I'll need to focus on a specific Great Book. That may be creating a bilingual text, or it may be listen/reading.

I'll have to use a variety of waves and approaches to flesh out most of the works and help them take root.

I'll have to find and use "hidden moments" as a way to review or preview works that are well suited to small chunks of time.

When my wife is away, I'll have to give extra energy to the project to make consistent breakthroughs.

What obstacles are there? What could disturb my Plan?
My plan fits well with my current lifestyle. As long as my life doesn't change drastically, I should be able to continue.

What’s the first step?
I've already started. My steps occur simultaneously, somewhat like a centipede.
a) Finish the English and French listen pass through The Prince.
b) Finish the Gospel according to Matthew in Spanish.
c) Finish the first listen of Confessions of Saint Augustine in English.
d) Finish the second listen of Lives by Plutarch (in the gym) in English.
e) Listen/Read Apologie de Socrate in French (second major approach to this work).

Edited by luke on 08 July 2015 at 2:35am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version