nancydowns
United States
Joined 3700 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 2
07 July 2015 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I am going to be in Detroit in a few weeks and wondered if anyone here has knowledge of good places to go for Spanish or Arabic. I am definitely
going to go to Dearborn because that's where the big Arabic community is. I looked up a few places already, but thought I would check to see if
anyone has been around there before? I would love to find some used bookstores, but new are good, too! I am still a beginner in Arabic, so very
small children's books or bilingual are what I would need. Also would be interested in dictionaries and grammars. Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3700 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 2
01 August 2015 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
I decided to answer my own question. : ) Actually, I still can't give a complete answer because I didn't have time to look at all the
bookstores I was hoping to go to.

1. University of Michigan - Dearborn This one was a waste of time because their bookstore is tiny. They have lots of University
clothing and so on for sale, but no books other than textbooks, and their textbook area was closed for restocking for the next semester. You
can look up what books they are using online. The only advantage to going back there when their textbook section is open is to see if you can
get the textbooks used. However, I'm not sure the textbooks are the best option.

2. Rodegher's Used Books No Arabic or Spanish books. Swahili? Yes. : )

3. Another Look Books Dictionaries and workbooks, nothing else.

4. Barnes & Noble I got two books here. They had tons of Libros en EspaƱol, but I didn't need anymore in Spanish. I bought
Arabic in 10 Minues a Day and
Easy
Arabic Reader

5. Middle Eastern Bookstore So this one is where I got the motherlode. I walked in there and was surrounded by thousands of books in
Arabic! I spent way too much money! They had classic English books in parallel English/Arabic. I bought four -- Jane Eyre, Round the world in
eighty days, The Time Machine, and Great Expectations. I left a bunch on the shelf! I also bought a small book called "Arabic Without Teacher"
[sic]. Most of it is about the alphabet, which I don't need, but at the end, they have parallel stories with some vocab, so I might try cutting
my teeth on those since they are short. I hate to admit this last one.... I bought the Hans Wehr Dictionary. It was EXPENSIVE!!!! And it is
big. But I have never found another dictionary that includes which form of the verb conjugation to use. I will probably find one tomorrow that
will cost 1/4 that amount... but it's done now, all sales there are final.

Places I would like to go sometime, but I ran out of time today... Besides, I already spent enough money!

1. John K. King Used and Rare Books.
2. International Book Center

If anyone else can add anything, I'd love to hear for the next time I'm near the city.
3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version