Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
cod2
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4350 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 

Message 1 of 4
08 July 2015 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Has anybody successfully learnt Japanese by NOT learning kanji? By that I mean, not
learning kanji specifically and in advance, but learning to recognise words as one
encounters them.

I don’t need to be able to produce kanji from memory. I only want to be able to read.

I don’t like Heisig. Tried it several times and gave up. I still retain about 300 of
so basic kanjis from those attempts with Heisig and with Henshall.

I am otherwise following my diluted version of the 10,000 sentences method with Anki.
When I encounter a word during review, I write it a few times either with a finger in
the air, or with a stylus on my mobile screen. I make no attempt to write it from
memory. I just trace it. I make no attempt to know the meaning of the individual
kanjis that make up the word, or the other readings they might have.

Not quite sure if that’s going to work when I have a deck of 1,000 or 2,000 sentences.

Has anyone successfully acquired a good degree of Japanese reading comprehension skill
by “letting the kanjis come to them”?

Thanks.

Edited by cod2 on 08 July 2015 at 4:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4593 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 2 of 4
08 July 2015 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Heisig helped me, and I'm sorry you had such a hard time with it. It certainly made
things better because I was able to recognize a lot of the individual components
through compounds, and with time, you'll notice that many kanji tend to be repeated in
words that have related meanings. But of course, you do get these complex little
buggers a lot, too. You can start by focusing on the spoken language, and learning to
recognize the vocabulary through hearing it, try to make some progress there, and then
tackle the written language. Like what Arrekksu here did, I believe, and I think
Jpod101 was used extensively as well as other native media and talking with natives.
You could also read books that extensively use hiragana, or at least are fully
furiganized, and a lot of manga for teens have that, as well as kids books, or short
stories. However, it will keep bugging you that you can't recognize the kanji, and
really limit your choice of resources, and you will eventually have to learn it sooner
or later.

You mentioned that you know the radicals from Heisig, correct? If you do, then maybe,
as you go through your reading, you can stop, focus a little on the kanji, take apart
it's individual components/radicals which you will recognize if you have done them
through Heisig, and make your own mental picture or mnemonic, put that in Anki or a
notebook, and move on. Do not try to memorize it, but every time you see it, remind
yourself of that mental image you used. With time, you will come to recognize it
completely and automatically. It's like a very low-intensity Heisig method, spread
over time and space, and not necessarily exclusively kanji study. You don't
necessarily have to write out stories, just hints that will remind you of the
meaning/reading. I guess you could in retrospect rote recognize the kanji through lots
of repetition and tracing/writing, I know it worked for me for some of the easier and
more common kanji, but it was long, painful, and tedious, and that's why, even though
Heisig may not be everyone's cup of tea, to me it was the least painful, and most
economic solution, in terms of both time and energy. You can adapt it to fit your
needs. You don't have to go through the book, or the kanji order presented,
necessarily. Just try to know the radicals/primitives, and then read and connect, and
make pictures/mnemonics/etc. as you go about your sentences and reading. I think there
was an excel sheet floating around somewhere with the 200 or so radicals. I do have it
somewhere, and I'll look for it and send it to you when I do.

I hope that helps.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cod2
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4350 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 

Message 3 of 4
08 July 2015 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
That's actually quite a good idea, and coincidentally that's what I was thinking yesterday.
1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3338 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 4 of 4
12 July 2015 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
cod2 wrote:
Has anybody successfully learnt Japanese by NOT learning kanji? By that I mean, not
learning kanji specifically and in advance, but learning to recognise words as one
encounters them.

I don’t need to be able to produce kanji from memory. I only want to be able to read.

For this purpose you can just use furigana. It works just fine. I'm assuming you can read hiragana and katakana just fine, since learning those is infinitely easier than learning kanji.

If I'm reading a text and I get to a kanji I don't know, then I'll just insert a random syllable and pretend that is its reading for that reading session. Later I'll go back and check my list to see how well I guessed. Rule is: you don't have to stop reading just because you don't know the reading for every character. Usually it's easier to remember the meaning than the reading, so you'll still get the meaning of the text involved, even if you guessed the wrong reading.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version