soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3666 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 14
09 July 2015 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Every now and then my mind wants to respond to something in German when I'm speaking English with someone. For example, as I mentioned in a previous post, I was asked over the phone what my relationship to my boss was and my mind immediately wanted to say "Angestellter"; I choked and ended up blurting out after an awkward pause "...I work for him" instead of simply saying "employee".

Just today I was out to lunch with my fiance. When I was paying the bill (with cash, which included the tip) the waiter said "I'll be right back with the change". Again, my first instinct was to say "stimmt so", so I choked and ended up saying "...it's fine that way", which is quite an odd way of simply saying the usual "keep the change".

The funny thing is, I'm still learning the language and have not yet been subjected to any truly immersive experiences in German (i.e., I've only been in the US since I've been learning).

Has anything like this happened to you guys, or have you ever actually followed through and said something in the other language, creating an awkward situation? I figure there must be some funny stories about this kind of thing.
1 person has voted this message useful

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3435 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Icelandic, Korean, Polish

Message 2 of 14
10 July 2015 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
I always want to say "il faut," because it's just an efficient French way to express that someone or "one" needs to do something. And then I end up saying in English "it's necessary to..." which is just awkward and goofy sounding. I don't think it's too embarrassing though.. :) Also, the phrase "plein de [quelque chose]" comes to mind constantly when I want to express there's a lot of something.

I think my spoken English tends to be peppered with backwards constructions that make sense in French (I could just be overanalyzing), but no one points them out, and as long as I don't do it in a job interview or at work, I should be fine!
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5021 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 14
10 July 2015 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
That's great, soclydeza85! This isn't uncommon when one is making a concerted effort to learn a language. It means you are starting to internalize German and that's good. I know, I've felt the same when learning my other languages, especially when I'm on a roll. It's completely natural. I have had similar situations like that before a time or two in public situations here, but I quickly catch myself.
3 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3666 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 4 of 14
11 July 2015 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
Ok good, so I'm not just going crazy.

"I think my spoken English tends to be peppered with backwards constructions that make sense in French"

I've noticed this too. I sometimes say things a bit differently now than I used to, almost with a different word order or choice of words. But as long as I don't start putting the infinitives at the end of the sentence when speaking English, I'm not too worried about it.

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4424 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 14
11 July 2015 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
It doesn't happen very often with me and it seems that it's almost always lexical rather than grammatical in nature, e.g. I once asked my wife how her "voyage" was, which, while being perfectly legitimate English, is kind of florid-sounding language when referring to a business trip of a couple days. :-)

Occasionally I will have an idea that I want to express that I know has an English idiom but only idioms from my other languages come to mind. I have never actually slipped into saying the L2 expression in that case, though. I just use a circumlocution instead.

Edited by tastyonions on 11 July 2015 at 2:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4049 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 6 of 14
11 July 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
I said a few times, "It/this/that pleases me" instead of "I like it/that/this", where the
former is a Romance construction. Unfortunately "it pleases me" in English has unwanted
overtones.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4930 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 7 of 14
12 July 2015 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Every now and then I inadvertently speak the wrong language, especially when I've been immersed in one of
my target languages. And this isn't quite the same thing, but lately I've been stumbling over the pronunciation
of random words in English; I'll just be talking and then my tongue will get twisted up. Since I don't have any
kind of stutter normally, I think it's due to the fact that all of my reading and a most of my TV has been in
Spanish or Polish lately. I have been having much more contact with my languages than I do during the
school year, and it is showing.

Edited by Amerykanka on 12 July 2015 at 12:21am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3666 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 8 of 14
12 July 2015 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
I forgot about writing. I'll catch myself (I used to do this often, but not so much anymore) spelling English words in a German way. "Sh" turned into "Sch", anytime I would write "yogurt" on a shopping list I would start writing "Jog..." and then catch myself. I've also caught myself capitalizing English nouns.

As for French, I'm not deep enough into it for my English to really be affected, though I have been tempted to say things like "Is it that you would want to do that?" instead of the usual "Do you want to do that?".

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version