phonology
Groupie
Peru
Joined 3472 days ago

40 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 1 of 12
10 July 2015 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
a year and I have in my mind 200 words memorized.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 12
10 July 2015 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
Couldn't resist.

It would help if you told us more about your learning process: which language, how much time you really put in, what resources you used etc.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5080 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 12
10 July 2015 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
There are a couple of threads about this topic. Many HTLAL members use one or more of the following methods:

Flashcard apps, e.g. Anki
Mnemonics, e.g. Linkwords, RTK
Wordlists, e.g. Iversen's method
Bilingual/interlinear texts, e.g. Aglona Reader, Julian Rodriguez (has some English-Spanish texts, e.g. this one)
Dedicated learning apps, e.g. LWT/FLTR

Edited by Doitsujin on 10 July 2015 at 11:29am

6 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3667 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 4 of 12
10 July 2015 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
I second the mnemonics idea. It's almost a skill in itself, you get faster and faster
and you'll eventually be able to immediately tie a new word to something to remember
it better.

Are you making sure you learn the words L1->L2 as well as L2->L1? Surprisingly, these
don't really cross over (not for me, at least), and just because you can quickly go
from translating a word from English to Spanish doesn't mean you can do Spanish to
English just as quickly, you have to practice both.

Other tips:
-Write the words down
-Act out verbs
-Picture an image in your head
-Make up sentences and use them (or find an online Spanish dictionary that provides
example sentences)
4 persons have voted this message useful

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3749 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 5 of 12
11 July 2015 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I read a book about language learning recently, and agreed with the author on vocabulary--don't learn the word, own the word.

I'm following his advice of 10 words a day--go over them at least 10 times as words, but then actually use them--out loud, in sentences. Even if you have to have a weird conversation with the dog, use the word as many times as you can in as many different sentences as you can.

I've found that I have much better recall of a word if I've made it part of actual language, rather than a memorized word list.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 12
12 July 2015 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
Which book? Fluent in 3 months?
1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3302 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 7 of 12
12 July 2015 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
phonology wrote:
a year and I have in my mind 200 words memorized.

How exactly did you count these words? If you're using flash-cards, for example, it's possible that flash cards just aren't for you. Having written down 200 flash cards and memorized them does *NOT* mean that you only know 200 words.

We set goals in language learning for motivational purposes. Some can be motivated by the goal "Learn X words in this language". If this goal doesn't work for you, pick another. It can be as simple as "Read this book." or "Watch this television series." or "Listen to/read the news in my learning language every day for one month."

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lucie Tellier
Diglot
France
Joined 3230 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 8 of 12
12 July 2015 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I've learned over 200 words in a day before. If you've learned 200 words in a year, it's because you didn't even take the time to learn one word a day.
Get out a flash cards 50 times a day with your word on it during downtimes, do that for a month and come back.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version