Netherlands
Joined 6565 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 2
13 July 2015 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

As I suspect many people here my learning in past years has been very input heavy and I've
tended to study the language far deeper on the side of comprehension than production. This
leaves my skills lop sided: I might be as high as C1 on comprehension and as low as A2 on
production.

For years I've watched youtube polyglots make videos and talk about how they learn. I
finally decided to start making videos myself. I have several objectives in mind:

* practice speaking the language (obviously)
* practice telling a story (not just reacting to another speaker)
* see myself in action (do I speak too fast? how is my accent? how many mistakes do I
make?)
* practice "taking the stage" (actually speak on video which is a little scary, grow my
confidence)

I mention these aspects since I find all of them quite relevant to conversations I've had
in the past, and at various times I've felt inhibited by any one of these.

I've made a handful of videos so far (French, Italian and Dutch) and I plan to continue in
the coming weeks. I want to see if I can see myself improve just by getting used to this
medium over time. The first videos are rehearsed. Hopefully in time I'll get smoother and I
can do them spontaneously.

If anyone wants to follow along:
here is my channel
I welcome your feedback!

Clearly I don't have a methodology worked out here, but that's why I'd like to ask: has
anyone else done video based training before? If so, I'd like to ask you a few questions:

* How did it go?
* How long did you keep it up?
* What did you try to measure? (And what did you find?)
* Did it significantly improve your production with actual speakers?

1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5648 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 2 of 2
14 July 2015 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
It sounds like your Dutch and French are both quite good, with good pronunciation and flow.
However, I find the audio, especially in Dutch, to be quite harsh and difficult to listen to.
The Dutch especially sounds like you are in a metal room with echo or reverberations. If I
were looking for You Tube audio to listen to, I would probably reluctantly not revisit your
Dutch because of the audio quality. Just my personal feedback on the audio. Your language
skills seem to be good.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version