Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 17 of 18
16 July 2015 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I don't even go as further as a pre-internet world. From 2001 to 2006 I had access to the internet but there wasn't the multitude of textbooks and I wasn't even aware of how to use native materials. So what happened when I tried to learn a non-transparent language? I'd work with my textbook and when I finished it I'd realize I hadn't learned enough to actually read a text, so I would just get stuck. I wouldn't have other textbooks to keep reviewing from and learning more nuances until I could tackle some native materials. There was much less in terms of bilingual texts and there was no Google Translator. Even in recent years, starting from 2012 when I discovered HTLAL and restarted languages, I noticed a considerable difference in my learning; my first year of Georgian learning was without Google Translate, as it was virtually non-existent for Georgian. Only from mid 2013 on I started to make good use of it, but I had already used up most of my textbooks. With Estonian everything was much better set up from the beginning: all I had to do was copy-paste a sentence from my OCR'ed textbook (that, too, a technology that shouldn't be neglected) and get a better idea of what it means other than just the sum of each of its parts.

So, I go as far as to say that it wasn't simply the internet, but web 2.0 that made all the difference to me (plus HTLAL and its techniques plus the aboundance of textbooks out there for the earlier stages, so that I could just keep the ball rolling instead of worrying that I might work on the only textbook I had and it wouldn't be enough and so I'd be frustrated).
1 person has voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5300 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 18 of 18
18 July 2015 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
If I didn't have access to the internet really my issue would be vocab, but given that I have Anki on
my computer that's not even much of an issue. Outside of Anki I would be using lots and lots of hard
copies of things. I have a large language primer collection and my local bookstore has a large foreign
language section. It's also pretty easy for me to get German periodicals in Portland.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version