Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Assimil Hebrew and Yiddish (new releases)

Tags: Yiddish | Hebrew | Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4839 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 5
15 July 2015 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Hello, Recently Assimil has released English base versions of Hebrew With Ease and Yiddish With Ease. I wonder if any of you have tried these courses, and if so, what might might be your reactions to them?

Thanks for your time.

Best,
John
1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5202 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 2 of 5
15 July 2015 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
I used the Yiddish course (the French version) and found it very good. I did 5 years of German in highschool though and it obviously helped.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4696 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 3 of 5
16 July 2015 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Literally got the Hebrew course in the mail two days ago. Focusing on other languages
atm, but it looks promising! They keep the nikud the entire book, which is something
I've always wanted in semitic abjad learning methods.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeronz
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 4652 days ago

37 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Yiddish, Latin, German, Italian

Message 4 of 5
17 July 2015 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I am working through the Yiddish with ease course (about a third of the way in) and I
don't have very positive feelings about it so far. Some thoughts:

- I have found that it progresses extremely slowly, there is not much dialogue content
per lesson, and there is too much repetition of words within each lesson. For example,
lesson one has two lines (two ways of saying hello), Lesson 10 six, lesson 50 has 11
and the final lesson, lesson 85 has 15. Compare this to Italian with ease, a fairly
typical assimil course, which has 9 lines in lesson one, 13 in lesson 10, 15 in lesson
50 and 14 in lesson 105. It does seem to speed up at the end. Each line is also
subjectively a lot denser with the other assimil courses I've used (spanish, french
and Italian). A fairer comparison may be against another assimil course for a language
which uses a non-latin script such as ancient greek, although I do not have experience
with any of those courses. The caveat for anyone reading this is that I have studied
Hebrew in the past and so am familiar with the alphabet/alefbet and I suppose they may
have chosen to start slowly for this reason.

- Some lessons are entertaining, although many are boring or are the typical "hello my
name is so and so, what is your name, how are you, I am good thank you" conversations
you find in other books but not what I've come to expect from assimil!

- It only has 85 lessons. As the first several lessons have very few lines each I wish
the course was longer. Looking through the assimil website for other courses with non-
latin scripts I can see that the ancient greek course has 100 lessons and the Japanese
course 98.

- They spend far too much time explaining grammar. I estimate that each review lesson
is roughly twice as long as the standard. They do seem to have ~3000 words listed in
the back but I feel like a large chunk of the learning is done through the review
lessons and not by "assimilating" through the normal lessons and I wonder how much I
would retain at the end of the course.

- Overall I find going through the course a bit of a chore. Taken together I have
serious doubts about the B2 stamp on the front.

- The recordings are very well done in typical assimil style.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4839 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 5
22 July 2015 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
Hello all, I've been away for a few days, so I just read the responses. Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond...quite helpful.

Cheers,
John

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version