Lucie Tellier
Diglot
France
Joined 3257 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 1 of 4
15 July 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday, I voice chatted for around an hour in English. I took a long break (almost 2 years) from speaking and writing in English. I did read some blog articles during that time, and I also listened to English for maybe 10 minutes a day, but that's it.

While I was surprisingly fluent given the circumstances, I feel like my pronunciation has gotten much worse.

On the one hand, I guess that if I want to become a translator, I shouldn't really care, but on the other hand, I do want to be able to accept interpreting "gigs" from time to time if the occasion presents itself.

I'm somewhat annoyed. I've worked a lot on my pronunciation over the years, and I feel cheated. The only times I tried shadowing, I failed miserably.
I think I feel kind of silly repeating the same sentence hundreds of times.

I would post a recording here, but I'm not sure I'd get positive or constructive feedback. After all, this is a public board.
I'd be happy to message someone in private if they're interested in giving me feedback on my English.
I can record a sample text.

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 4
15 July 2015 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm pretty sure people here would be helpful if you simply posted a recording out in the open. If you really don't want to do that, though, I would be willing to help you out through private messages.

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3629 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 4
15 July 2015 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Try to imitate Pollux in "Le manège enchanté" and your accent will come back in no time :o)

Lucie Tellier
Diglot
France
Joined 3257 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes

Message 4 of 4
17 July 2015 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Hello Tastyonions,
I'm not sure I want to post a recording. I've been talking to some people on Skype, and obviously my pronunciation has gotten worse, since I stopped studying English for almost 2 years.

I get tired more easily, and don't get that second or third skype call "momentum" anymore.
It's more like a downhill slope now. It seems to me like my English gets worse the more I speak. I can hear my mistakes, and some of them really make me shudder.

I actually think I'm shooting myself in the foot by skyping in English, even for 30 minutes a day. I've apparently gone back to the point where I need deliberate practice... on my own.

I'd be willing to help an American with their French pronunciation in exchange for pronunciation coaching in English. I've done it before and it usually works out well, but it's hard to find people who are motivated enough.

I get mixed reactions from native speakers these days. I'm understandable 95% of the time I'd say, but native speakers aren't necessarily enthusiastic about my English.

I get good comments and comments that are, let's say, less good.

I might message you with a recording. Not sure yet, I guess it's worth a try. Any feedback is helpful, but I know I have to work on my own too.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version