Lucie Tellier
Diglot
France
Joined 3251 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 1 of 9
17 July 2015 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Well, I'll probably get shredded to pieces for doing this, but here goes nothing.
I recorded something really spontaneous for tastyonions.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0uf92qiZexf

It's a 3-minute recording that also contains the "please call Stella" text.
Before annihilating me, please keep in mind that I've never been abroad (well, not in North America anyway) and that I haven't spoken English in a pretty long time.
I do apologize if I've used one too many fillers.

My aim is to sound like a Midwesterner, and hopefully have as much of a native-like accent as possible.
I'm looking for a good actress to shadow or mimic.

I'm open to constructive criticism regarding the authenticity of my accent, sound issues, and the overall "neutrality" of my pronunciation.

And please, don't just say "that's bad." Tell me how to fix the issues. Or just give me samples of American speakers who have a nice accent (in TV shows, for example).

If I get good reactions from the forumers, I might make a "spoken" language log in which I record my shadowing progress.
1 person has voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3317 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 2 of 9
17 July 2015 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
I think you have a very distorted view of your pronunciation. As an Australian you sound
like a native American speaker to me. Perhaps they can offer some suggestions on how to
tidy it up, but yeah it's pretty good. I don't think I've ever met a French person with
such a good accent, and I use to work for a French company with lots of french people :)

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3688 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 3 of 9
17 July 2015 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
You're beating yourself up too much, your accent is excellent. I can hear a very slight (I repeat, very slight) accent on some of the vowels, but everything you said was more than intelligible. Your command of the language is also excellent and very natural sounding.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 17 July 2015 at 3:19am

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 9
17 July 2015 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
You sound excellent. Great pronunciation and natural intonation and prosody. Many natives use as many or more fillers as you do. Zero problems understanding you.

0:03 "tasty onions," the first vowel of "onions" should sound more like the "u" of fun rather than the "a" of "father."

0:12 "sample," first vowel sounds just a bit off, should be more fronted and less rounded, more like the "a" of cat.

0:35 "on," sounds more Philadelphia than midwest :-), should be the vowel of "awe" but a little shorter (link).

0:52 "which are used to," rhythm is kind of off here, many natives will mash "which are" into "which're" or at least say "which" and "are" in closer succession.

0:56 "pronunciation," you kind of swallow both of the vowels in the first two syllables, a native would schwa the first and say the second "nun" syllable with the "u" vowel of "fun."

1:48 "snack," sounds like "snag," last syllable should end in "k" or maybe just a glottal stop, especially before a word starting in a consonant.

2:00 "Wednesday," we say it like "wenzday," make sure the "n" is pretty strong.

2:15 "how I," this sounds more like some southern American accents, "how uh," Midwesterner will keep the "I" as /aɪ/.

2:55 "right now," the diphthong in "right" sounds almost Australian rather than American, should be /aɪ/ again.

I used to live in a city where lots of French people worked (Michelin had a big center there) and I would say your pronunciation is better than all but one of the people I met -- and he had been living in the US for fifteen years when I met him!

Edited by tastyonions on 17 July 2015 at 1:28pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3623 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 9
17 July 2015 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
Your accent is excellent.
But I know you're not a US native because I can understand you at 100%, it's usually not the case with real natives.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4385 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 9
17 July 2015 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
You sound great! Sounds very natural to me.

Lucie Tellier
Diglot
France
Joined 3251 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes

Message 7 of 9
17 July 2015 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thank you all for your feedback. I didn't know I'd get such great advice. :)
Tastyonions, your feedback is really invaluable to me, and I'll work extra hard on my vowels.
Is there any TV show you'd recommend for pronunciation practice?
I'm tempted to shadow Rachel from Friends, but I'm not sure yet.

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4419 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 8 of 9
17 July 2015 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
I know everyone's already said this, but I can't help myself, that is a really, really
good accent. No-way would I pick you out as a non-American. At most some of your
idiosyncrasies could suggest you might be an American who's lived abroad for a while.

If you're having problems not being understood (as you mention in another thread), it
must be because your accent is degrading with exhaustion, or because it degrades when
spoken quickly. I have no idea how to deal with either those problems but surely someone
on this forum must? I doubt more shadowing will help.

Edited by AlexTG on 17 July 2015 at 2:46pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version