Diglot
United States
Joined 3178 days ago

24 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 2
17 July 2015 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
I'm using a listening and reading approach to learning Russian and I really feel lots of progress. I've went from not even knowing Cyrillic alphabet a month ago to now being able to read and understand simple conversations and simple stories especially things such as, what do you do, what is that, where are going tomorrow, I want to read a new book, he was born in 1955, etc.

A problem I'm experiencing is that I can read and understand vocabulary especially well within the context of the lessons I am following because I review them often and I get lots of exposure to the words in that specific context. But, outside of the lesson context I can't remember the meanings as easily of the vocabulary of some words. For example, I follow several famous Russian natives on twitter who tweet often in Russian. Many words I've never seen, but sometimes I'll be able to recognize words as familiar to me, but the meaning escapes me. Perhaps, a popup dictionary would help during these times, but my Russian isn't good enough to navigate yandex to find their addon.

I'm wondering for anyone who has experience with listening - reading approach and learning with texts. Is it normal when seeing your target language outside of your normal study context, that you can recognize some words, but not remember the meaning. Not every word is like this for me, some words I remember easily, but others I only know I should know the meaning, but I don't. Is this a normal part of the learning process or am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Kimchizzle on 17 July 2015 at 3:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 2
17 July 2015 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
that's perfectly normal, and this can happen with any method. as you see the words more you'll be better at recognizing them in new contexts.

yandex doesn't offer a popup dictionary add-on as far as I know. Lingvo does, but you have to pay for that. there are many others online too.

can it be that you're recognizing the visual form of the words but aren't sure about the pronunciation? be sure to pronounce those familiar words when you see them.

you might also like this wikia article. but sounds like most of all you simply need to keep going :) good luck!

which lessons are you referring to btw?

Edited by Serpent on 17 July 2015 at 10:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version