dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5193 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 1 of 1
21 July 2015 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Dr Michael Drout's Old English resources have been mentioned once or twice before. He's the guy responsible for Anglo-Saxon Aloud--free audio recordings of the entire Old English poetic corpus and a grammar textbook (formerly called "King Alfred's Grammar").

There is a new online course coming out in August 2015 taught by Dr. Drout: Introduction to Anglo-Saxon through the Mythgard Institute. Mythgard is similar to The Great Courses, Coursera, and other MOOC-like institutions--except that you have the option of enrolling in a full MA degree program in addition to more casual auditing. I've taken a bunch of literature and language courses through Mythgard and they are very high quality.

HTLAL folks might also be interested in some of their prior courses. Like The Great Courses, they sell lecture recordings after the course ends. I also took the two-semester course in Latin with them (using Wheelock as a textbook) and a fascinatingly quirky course on philology called "Philology Through Tolkien" which is a nice introduction to historical linguistics through the lens of JRR Tolkien's academic and fiction work.

7 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version