Triglot
France
Joined 3211 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Russian*, French, English

Message 1 of 11
22 July 2015 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I would like to invite you to a simple game.

Let's imagine the best program for learning languages you can ever think of.
What would be the features in this program?
How can you describe the learning process in such a program?

P.S. I am a software developer, that can turn some dreams into reality :)

1 person has voted this message useful

phonology
Groupie
Peru
Joined 3506 days ago

40 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 2 of 11
22 July 2015 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
my dream is a 3D multiplayer game dedicated to language learning and exchange by voice.

source of my idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOxo3OTgaOw

Edited by phonology on 22 July 2015 at 9:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3369 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, French

Message 3 of 11
22 July 2015 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
What I want is something that will take my language course or other audio files, and allow
me to choose a segment of the file (sentence, phrase, word), repeat or loop it as
necessary, and record myself trying to reproduce this phrase (or whatever), then play back
the original recording and/or my latest attempt to reproduce it, so that I can compare the
two to see how I'm doing.

Anki has this feature, and it's implemented in a very easy to use way (though the UI is
ugly and clunky), The problem with using Anki is that the audio file needs to be pre-
segmented, individual cards made, etc. and this is a huge time sink.

I'd like to just open any old audio file and do this kind of speaking practice imitation
and comparison to the recorded example. I bet a lot of people would like to be able to do
this with video files as well, to practice dialogue from TV shows or movies.

Other features that would be nice would be the ability to slow down the native speaker
audio to hear it better, Also a wave form graph of the audio that makes it easier to see
where you are in your file (silence is visible), and the ability to label specific points
in the file. The software I've used for musical transcription (which has these features)
uses creates a parallel file for each audio/video file it is used with, which holds the
labels, etc.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gunjumero
Canada
Joined 3462 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: French*

Message 4 of 11
23 July 2015 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
tangleweeds wrote:

Other features that would be nice would be the ability to slow down the native speaker
audio to hear it better

You can slow down playback with VLC (videolan.org/) (-/+ keyboard)

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 11
23 July 2015 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I would be entirely happy if I had a multilingual netflix like service I wouldn't be forbidden to use only because I live in a second rate country. That would be enough. Even better if it included ebooks, audiobooks, music. That would solve majority of my most irritating learning challenges. I know, there are the pirate sources but I'd like having an alternative that would be both affordable and fair to the media creators.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4853 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 11
24 July 2015 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
a multilingual netflix like service I wouldn't be forbidden to use only because I live in a second
rate country

In the USA, we obviously have netflix itself but as for multilingual video from around the world, I don't think we
have anything better than Youtube.

What I would like is a library of texts + audio containing both written texts and conversations, organized by
difficulty and topic so that you can get a massive amount of input at whatever level and topic you prefer. For
written texts, you would be able to choose a male and female speaker from each of the major accent groups.
There would be a pop-up dictionary that allows you to toggle between quick-translation, detailed-translation,
easy-monolingual, and native-monolingual type definitions. The dictionary would also show you the
conjugations/declensions of a word and its root form, where applicable.

Each text would have a L1 translation available and, when appropriate, a video showing the context or hinting at
the meaning (e.g. Ken Burns documentary-style photos). Words or phrases could be linked to other examples of
the same word or phrase elsewhere in the library. Sentences would also be (automatically) tagged with grammar
points that link to a grammar reference book, available at beginner level in L1, advanced-student level in L1, and
advanced level in the target language. When the texts contain a point that is culturally specific to the culture of
the target language, they are marked with a link to explanatory notes that you can follow, and you can set it to be
either in the target language or L1.

Known word and learning-word tracking as in Learning With Texts or Lingq would be available, but it would be
improved in that it would automatically recognize different inflections of a word. It would have a special marking
for a previously unseen inflection of word that you've already saved.

You would be able to toggle between different orthographies, transliterations where appropriate, and both loose
and detailed IPA transcriptions.

At any time, a personal tutor is on-call through video chat, and you can send texts in for correction, specifying
what kind of feedback you are interested in.

Edited by robarb on 24 July 2015 at 3:53am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 7 of 11
25 July 2015 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
phonology wrote:
my dream is a 3D multiplayer game dedicated to language learning and exchange by voice.

source of my idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOxo3OTgaOw

There was an interesting 3D sandbox style game on Kickstarter that would let you run around cities and talk to people (like Grand Theft Auto, but without the killing), for the purpose of language learning. Unfortunately, they couldn't get enough donations for it to take off. I'd like to see if they ever did anything with it, but I forget the name (I might have it in my browser favorites somewhere, I'll have to look around).

I always thought a great idea would be a computer program that stores all of the vocabulary you know and generates natural sounding sentences and dialogues for you to practice your vocab in context. When you add more words, it builds more material for you to listen to (or read). To take it a step further, you could speak to it and it will talk back to you (kind of like those IM bots, but with speaking), almost like a conversation partner that knows exactly what words/phrases you know so you can practice what you know without straining to figure words you've never heard before, though there could be an option to trickle in unknown words to help you get used to figuring things out from context. However, I know that it is very difficult for a computer program to try to replicate language naturally (Google Translate, for example), but hopefully a day will come where something would be accurate enough to be trusted and useful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 8 of 11
25 July 2015 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
I found the game I was talking about, it's Reddo. Unfortunately, I can't find anything on any current developments so they may have scrapped the idea.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 25 July 2015 at 5:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version