Triglot
France
Joined 3211 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Russian*, French, English

Message 9 of 11
25 July 2015 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:

To take it a step further, you could speak to it and it will talk back to you (kind of
like those IM bots, but with speaking), almost like a conversation partner that knows
exactly what words/phrases you know

I believe that we should learn languages to speak with people. It means that we must
learn from people, not from any kind of machines/algorithms. Basically you can say
that you speak a language, only if you can speak with others speaking in this
language. The greater their level is, the better we know this language. And it is
considered that native speakers have naturally the best level of knowledge.

In this regards the robarb's idea seems to be more promising, as we learn from real
situations with native speakers involved.

Nevertheless in future probably machines will be able to simulate the sufficient level
of language.. we'll see :)

Edited by ToxaMI on 25 July 2015 at 10:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 10 of 11
25 July 2015 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
ToxaMI wrote:
soclydeza85 wrote:

To take it a step further, you could speak to it and it will talk back to you (kind of
like those IM bots, but with speaking), almost like a conversation partner that knows
exactly what words/phrases you know

I believe that we should learn languages to speak with people. It means that we must
learn from people, not from any kind of machines/algorithms. Basically you can say
that you speak a language, only if you can speak with others speaking in this
language. The greater their level is, the better we know this language. And it is
considered that native speakers have naturally the best level of knowledge.

In this regards the robarb's idea seems to be more promising, as we learn from real
situations with native speakers involved.

Nevertheless in future probably machines will be able to simulate the sufficient level
of language.. we'll see :)

Oh I don't mean for it to replace any kind of native exposure at all, I just mean something that will get you used to replying to people

Hello, how are you?
I'm well, how can I help you?
I need headache medicine, where is the nearest pharmacy?
Oh, not far from here, go up this street.......

Some programs try to do this but, because it's prerecorded audio, it will always ask the same way and reply the same way and with the same gap of time for you to reply. Maybe you pronounced "headache medicine" in a strange way, it asks for you to clarify. Maybe there's something else you need and it would be better to go to one pharmacy over the other, so on and so forth.

In fact, imagine a program that you could debate politics with. This program would be able to form it's own opinions, decided whether or not yours make sense (or compare what you say to a database of statistical data), pass judgement on your opinions and decide whether or not it likes you, etc. With artificial intelligence like that, I think language learning would be the least of our worries...

Edited by soclydeza85 on 25 July 2015 at 8:05pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

freakyaye
Australia
Joined 4632 days ago

107 posts - 152 votes 

Message 11 of 11
02 August 2015 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
I find what works for me best is continuous correction. This is hard to have without a teacher around.

I'd like software that could present me with stories, short things that would be based on the grammar points and vocabulary I had not seen yet. Adaptive software really.

And as others have said, we cannot forget the human element of language learning, I would like this software to included pre-recorded face-to-face tutorials (much like fluenz and others). So before reading I am presented with some learning, then launch into reading a more complicated text that also involves review of what I have learnt previously.

Then, for the words or grammar points that I'm not familiar with I would like mini tutorial videos to lead me through their meaning, with examples in other sentences and of native speakers using the phrases including reactions and the like.

All this software exists, but not one piece that does it all.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version