Joined 6404 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 73 of 99
13 October 2006 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Frisco wrote:
Alijsh, you don't have the authority to "close" discussions. Lengua has every right to comment on the original topic. If you want to open another discussion, do it properly by creating a new topic.

I don't think Lengua need any advocate.

I wish you had seen page 6: "I don't participate in this topic..." before writing these lines.

Edited by Alijsh on 13 October 2006 at 2:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6672 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 74 of 99
13 October 2006 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:
Frisco wrote:
Alijsh, you don't have the authority to "close" discussions. Lengua has every right to comment on the original topic. If you want to open another discussion, do it properly by creating a new topic.

I don't think Lengua need any advocate.

I wish you had seen page 6: "I don't participate in this topic..." before writing these lines.

Sorry Alijsh but Lengua and Frisco are right. The discussion can go on as long as the thread is open. The only person with the authority to close a thread is the Administrator. If it bothers you that people may come a little late into a discussion (not everyone logs on to the forum every day) or that they have a different opinion to your's, then you should think twice about opening threads. You can't just tell people that since YOU have stopped arguing about a point, they should stop too.

It wouldn't hurt to be a little nicer to people either. We don't really like being bossed around unnecessarily and told what not to write (only the Administrator has that authority and it's often used only where offensive posts are concerned). I'm sure you have some really good insights about languages and language learning, given the list I see next to your username, but telling people that they are 'wrong' or to stop a discussion without a good reason is not going to endear you to everyone. It's good to treat other members with the same respect you'd want back in return. :)

The vast majority of us have a genuine interest in languages (I'm sure you do too) and enjoy debating over every little minor detail. Disagreements are bound to arise and that is what makes it a 'discussion'. As you yourself told another member, if you don't like what you're reading, then just don't read the posts.

Edited by lady_skywalker on 13 October 2006 at 3:05am

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6404 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds

Message 75 of 99
13 October 2006 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
"I don't participate in this topic..." means I have closed it on my own part. You can go on.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6672 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 

Message 76 of 99
13 October 2006 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:
"I don't participate in this topic..." means I have closed it on my own part. You can go on.

Fair enough. That's your prerogative. But you did tell Lengua off and claimed that 'Persian or Farsi' was no longer the topic. As long as this thread is open, it *is* the topic.

Alijsh wrote:
Dear lengua,

We are not discussing on Persian and Farsi. It has been closed on page 6. If you had read posts then you didn't write such things. You can use whichever you like.

So...for those still interested in discussing the 'Persian or Farsi' issue, discuss away.

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6404 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds

Message 77 of 99
13 October 2006 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:
We are not discussing on Persian and Farsi. It has been closed on page 6.

Who are these we? Yes, we (Me, Chung, Andee) were talking about other things. Ok?

You, Chung, Andee, and anybody else interested can go on "Persian or Farsi".

Edited by Alijsh on 13 October 2006 at 3:35am

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6672 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 

Message 78 of 99
13 October 2006 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:
Alijsh wrote:
We are not discussing on Persian and Farsi. It has been closed on page 6.

Who are these we? Yes, we (Me, Chung, Andee) were talking about other things. Ok?

You, Chung, Andee, and anybody else interested can go on "Persian or Farsi".

Then open a new thread next time you want to change topic. While you can veer off topic in any discussion, if you want to change the topic *entirely*, then opening a new thread is advised. It makes it easier for the rest of us to follow a discussion.

Thanks.

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6404 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds

Message 79 of 99
13 October 2006 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
I didn't personaly changed main topic. It happended. I was the starter of topic and i knew about what i must speak.

While i'm saying "anybody can go on" i don't see any reason why you think i'm thinking of changing topic.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6672 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 

Message 80 of 99
13 October 2006 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:
I didn't personaly changed main topic. It happended. I was the starter of topic and i knew about what i must speak.

While i'm saying "anybody can go on" i don't see any reason why you think i'm thinking of changing topic.

Well, because you told Lengua and various others that the discussion on 'Persian or Farsi' was over on Page 6. If that was the case, then what *is* the topic now? Why tell people that the discussion is over?

This is veering really off topic so I wouldn't be surprised if the Admin closed this thread.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version