jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6403 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 49 of 99
12 October 2006 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I said English came to USA, Australia, and India by colonization. is this wrong? And I didn't talk about Iran.

It's a fact that for many people learning English is not the matter of interest.

I don't insist, especially strongly, on using Persian instead of Farsi. Call it what you like.

Yes, nobody and nothing has made me learn Spanish. I love Spanish and learn it.

Edited by Alijsh on 12 October 2006 at 10:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 50 of 99
12 October 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:
It's a fact that many people have no other option but to learn English or they miss so many resources avaialble in English.

Is that a bad thing?

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6403 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds

Message 51 of 99
12 October 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
Obligation is a bad thing, isn't it? It's not a bad thing that are so many resources available in English. I'm saying that, when people face this fact, there remains no place for not being interested in the language. You have to learn it.

Edited by Alijsh on 12 October 2006 at 10:12am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 52 of 99
12 October 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Not always.

Besides, if you're obliged to get knowledge that leads to getting even more resources, then I think that the benefits outweigh the costs.

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6403 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds

Message 53 of 99
12 October 2006 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Not always.

Besides, if you're obliged to get knowledge that leads to getting even more resources, then I think that the benefits outweigh the costs.

That's why they learn English. those who are not interested in the language

Edited by Alijsh on 12 October 2006 at 10:16am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 54 of 99
12 October 2006 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Then it's not a bad thing to need to learn English...

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6671 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 55 of 99
12 October 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
People have learnt English for a variety of reasons, whether it was out of personal interest, as part of their academic studies or to further their careers. The fact of the matter is that English is the lingua franca of the moment and may well be surpassed by another language in future , just as Latin and French have (the latter was once considered the language of diplomacy).

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to learn English. It's an unfortunate (or fortunate) fact of life that business, science and technology have become tied down with the English language and thus compels many people to learn it. If, hypothetically, Mandarin or Swahili became the languages of science tomorrow, I'm sure we'd all be working hard to learn those languages the next day.

If people have a problem being obliged to learn English at school, then they should complain to their country's department of education, not to us native English speakers. It's not exactly our fault we were born in an English-speaking country, eh?. :)

As for the rigidity issue mentioned above, I remember reading not long ago that the Persian Language Academy (or whatever it is called) was working on eradicating the language of foreign loanwords...I remember 'pizza' being one of those words. Eradicating foreign loan words to replace them with 'purer' Persian-derived words doesn't sound very flexible to me (the French are also guilty of this).

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6403 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds

Message 56 of 99
12 October 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:
I remember 'pizza' being one of those words. Eradicating foreign loan words to replace them with 'purer' Persian-derived words doesn't sound very flexible to me (the French are also guilty of this).

Pizza is name of a food. It's a loanfood not a loanword to be replaced. You're wrong.

Why using airplane while we can have havâpeymâ that's a meaningful word. So we must say airplane to be flexible!

And in French they must use download and computer instead of telecharge and ordinateur to be flexible.

So, coining such words means the language isn't flexibe. Thanks. I didn't know that.

Edited by Alijsh on 12 October 2006 at 10:31am

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version