United States
Joined 3193 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 19
28 July 2015 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:

I'll give you a suggestion; take it or leave it. First learn phonology and the alphabet. Then
learn basic vocabulary. Clothes, jobs, animals, food, all that stuff you get in intro courses.
Get to know the morphology fairly well--verb conjugations and noun/adjective declensions. You
should be able to decline regular nouns and conjugate regular verbs.

Then get a grammar and learn that.

Then start the long process of acquiring more vocabulary. Learn more common vocabulary first.
Get more specialized as time goes on, depending on where your interests lie (if you're into
literature, you're going to have to learn bookish terms. If you're into speaking to people,
then you'll need more slang). Learn individual words first, like "piano", then learn larger
chunks of vocabulary, like "to play the piano."

Schaum's Russian Grammar is pretty good and will probably do the trick. For vocabulary, join
the Oxford Dictionary site and get a subscription to the Russian-English dictionary, which will
have audio samples you can download for flashcards, if you're so inclined. Regardless, it's a
good resource.

Great advise I think I will use it to help me with my Spanish thanks very much.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 19
28 July 2015 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Rozzie wrote:
Then learn basic vocabulary. Clothes, jobs, animals, food, all that stuff you get in intro courses.

These are a bit overrated, imo. If you use a coursebook, it's generally enough to follow it, at least on your first pass. Don't get obsessed with minor words unless they're extremely relevant to you. For example, out of animals you only need cat and dog at first, for many books also horse. Food is mostly relevant for travel.

See the various techniques here too, especially shadowing and scriptorium.

Edited by Serpent on 28 July 2015 at 10:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5009 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 19 of 19
29 July 2015 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Rozzie wrote:
Great advise I think I will use it to help me with my Spanish thanks very much.

My pleasure! Let me know if you have any questions. Oxford has a great Spanish-English dictionary too.

P.S. In English, "advise" is a verb and "advice" is a noun. The first is pronounced with a [z] sound, the second with a [s] sound. Example sentence: "I advise you to follow my advice."

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version