Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fate of HTLAL

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
178 messages over 23 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 22 23 Next >>
aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5327 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 25 of 178
23 July 2015 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
basica wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:
basica wrote:
Well, I think if a majority chose to stay here the
best
choice to me
seems that the other
site shuts down and puts a message referring back to people here.

That is part of the problem--some already would prefer to go to the new site and never
return to the old site, some even said that they would prefer to not post at all if
they had to use the old site again.

A poll in this case is useless, because unlike for example, voting for Prime Minister,
the Prime Minister is the one who has the majority amount of votes. In this case, both
voting camps would do what they want. Effectively this would be like having two Prime
Ministers A and B, and splitting a country in two; those who want PM A have PM A, and
those who want PM B get PM B, wherein the two new countries have both less people than
the one previous country as a whole.

It doesn't really matter what they want if the person running the site decides to shut
it down in order to ensure people come back here - with no alternative most people
would come back here and perhaps a minority will just go screw it and live without,
though I reckon it'd be unlikely.

Are you trying to say/imply that the owner of this site (FX) can shut down the .org site (which is the
"other
site" where some people, myself included, are also posting on)? If so that just isn't the case.

Edited by aokoye on 23 July 2015 at 6:21am

1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5318 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 178
23 July 2015 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
basica wrote:
It doesn't really matter what they want if the person running the site decides to shut it down in order to ensure people come back here - with no alternative most people would come back here and perhaps a minority will just go screw it and live without, though I reckon it'd be unlikely.

When there's a messy situation with a lot of people involved, my first instinct is to try to listen to everybody, and to try to figure out what each person wants. It's all too easy to accidentally blunder into a conflict, and to make situation blow up through sheer misunderstanding.

But when you listen to people, sometimes a surprising thing happens: You realize that three-quarters of the conflict was totally unnecessary, and that the other quarter can probably be sorted out somehow.

So here are some of the things I've heard over the last few days:

1. Almost everyone wants to see the community continue to exist and thrive.

2. Quite a few people are willing to live with the current software, and they would be perfectly happy to remain here.

3. A substantial number of users are frustrated by the situation, and they don't want to do this all over again in a year.

4. Some people are very concerned by the ongoing decline in HTLAL signups and posting, and they're worried about the long-term future if things continue as they are.

5. Some people are enthusiastic about what they could do with better forum software: They could share target-language movie trailers in their logs, or they could browse the forum easily from their phone, or they could follow threads using an RSS reader.

6. Several people with substantial technical skills and resources have offered to step up to ensure that the community has a home if it ever needs one.

7. Our administrator wants (as far as I can tell) to keep the forum online, and he has devoted pretty some serious effort to this in the past.

I'm probably leaving somebody out, and if so, I'd love to hear from them. :-)

Anyway, as far as I can tell, most of the these desires are totally compatible! I can actually think of two or three possible solutions that might work pretty well for everyone. But it would be a bit silly to try to solve these problems without actually hearing everybody out first.

Also, I don't think that it would be effective to try to sort things out right away by ignoring half the opinions involved. I'm happy to live with a bit of ambiguity about the future if that gives us more time to look for solutions that work better for everybody.

Edited by emk on 23 July 2015 at 7:01am

15 persons have voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3322 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 27 of 178
23 July 2015 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Ok, I think I have been misunderstood. Firstly, the only point I was making was there doesn't need to be a split. One (of
many ways) way of doing this is for the person running the other forum is to shut it down if it turns out that the owner
of HTLAL doesn't transfer control to the community. This way it ensures people, even those who prefer the other one
end up back here (this of course doesn't appear likely to happen as that admin seems to want to continue running the
site, but I am merely giving a theoretical example in any case). I was not advocating this to be done, I was merely
making a theoretical point. I've already stated what I want and would do before anyways, so I won't repeat myself here.

Like emk, I have patience and I understand this discussion might take a few days or even a couple weeks. They seem
to have a game plan which seems aggressive enough to ensure some kind of answer to the question (one of my fears
was that they'd simply email him and then not ever get a response and leave it at that). When we get an answer, I'll act
accordingly.

Edited by basica on 23 July 2015 at 8:59am

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 28 of 178
23 July 2015 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
basica wrote:
Ok, I think I have been misunderstood. Firstly, the only point I was making was there doesn't need to be a split. One (of many ways) way of doing this is for the person running the other forum is to shut it down if it turns out that the owner of HTLAL doesn't transfer control to the community. This way it ensures people, even those who prefer the other one end up back here (this of course doesn't appear likely to happen as that admin seems to want to continue running the site, but I am merely giving a theoretical example in any case).

Actually as the admin your refering to, I would like to point out I didn't actual want to set up the site in the first place, and only did so because we all knew this site was going to go down about 7 days after the domain expired and FX wasn't answering (again). You seem to be assuming I actually want to spend my own personal money keeping the other site open because I have some other motives, but as I've pointed out a lot of times, running the other site is just a hassle for me, and if FX had handled his responsibilites it wouldn't have ever happened. I'm not having a go at him, I know better than anyone the hassle and bother of running websites and keeping domains up to date, etc, etc. But if you're going to setup something like this and take money you have a duty of care to your subscribers (IMHO)

Now I have been gifted another headache. Because this forum software is so poor, and I stupidly installed a modern version of software; people don't want to leave the other site. In addition, there are a lot of threads, logs and discussions there from people who were lurkers here, but active members there. All created during the week or so this place was unavailable. So you're proposal that I simply close down that site means I'm going to make a lot of enemies of the users who've placed their trust in me (see duty of care above) to keep their logs and posts alive. BTW there are people who've joined there, who aren't even members here and never heard of the HTLAL.com. So there cannot be an easy binary solution like you are proposing without annoying a lot of other people.

So I think it is a little unfair to paint me as someone who is running some kind of pirate site and trying to steal users. I put up an alternative, emergency site in good faith to help the community have some meeting point. I didn't consider that the alternative might be better than the original and people might not want to leave.

16 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5569 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 29 of 178
23 July 2015 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
basica wrote:
It doesn't really matter what they want if the
person running the site decides to shut it down in order to ensure people come
back here - with no alternative most people would come back here and perhaps
a minority will just go screw it and live without, though I reckon it'd be
unlikely.

When there's a messy situation with a lot of people involved, my first
instinct is to try to listen to everybody, and to try to figure out what each
person wants. It's all too easy to accidentally blunder into a conflict, and
to make situation blow up through sheer misunderstanding.

But when you listen to people, sometimes a surprising thing happens: You
realize that three-quarters of the conflict was totally unnecessary, and that
the other quarter can probably be sorted out somehow.

So here are some of the things I've heard over the last few days:

1. Almost everyone wants to see the community continue to exist and thrive.

2. Quite a few people are willing to live with the current software, and they
would be perfectly happy to remain here.

3. A substantial number of users are frustrated by the situation, and they
don't want to do this all over again in a year.

4. Some people are very concerned by the ongoing decline in HTLAL signups and
posting, and they're worried about the long-term future if things continue as
they are.

5. Some people are enthusiastic about what they could do with better forum
software: They could share target-language movie trailers in their logs, or
they could browse the forum easily from their phone, or they could follow
threads using an RSS reader.

6. Several people with substantial technical skills and resources have offered
to step up to ensure that the community has a home if it ever needs one.

7. Our administrator wants (as far as I can tell) to keep the forum online,
and he has devoted pretty some serious effort to this in the past.

I'm probably leaving somebody out, and if so, I'd love to hear from them. :-)

Anyway, as far as I can tell, most of the these desires are totally
compatible! I can actually think of two or three possible solutions that might
work pretty well for everyone. But it would be a bit silly to try to solve
these problems without actually hearing everybody out first.

Also, I don't think that it would be effective to try to sort things out right
away by ignoring half the opinions involved. I'm happy to live with a bit of
ambiguity about the future if that gives us more time to look for solutions
that work better for everybody.

Very convincing post. Surely you are right.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 30 of 178
23 July 2015 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I like this site. Yeah, it's unstable, I sometimes have troubles accessing it, a lot of features are unavailable to
me since I'm not Pro. Yet I like this site for its simplicity. I don't have anything against the new site, but at the
moment it looks a lot like other forums - which is great for a temporary site, thanks to everyone who did set it
up! - but slightly different if to use it constantly.
Of course this site could use some obvious improvements, and I can't be sure whether I'll still
prefer it in case the new site gets significantly changed. But at the moment I wish for this old one to be saved.
Hopefully, our administrator will be at least open to discussion. I've been around here since more than two
years, and I have to say that HTLAL changed my life dramatically, allowing me to improve my English enough
to open many doors I didn't even see by myself.
It would be sad to type this address and see a dead page.
As simple as that.

Edited by Via Diva on 23 July 2015 at 10:24am

3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4319 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 31 of 178
23 July 2015 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

So I think it is a little unfair to paint me as someone who is running some kind of pirate site and trying to steal users. I put up an alternative, emergency site in good faith to help the community have some meeting point. I didn't consider that the alternative might be better than the original and people might not want to leave.

I wouldn't call it a 'pirate' site, but it's also not an 'emergency' site if it keeps going after the original site is back up.

I very much doubt that you would create a lot of enemies if you simply froze the site for a few days until the community as a whole could come to a decision. My impression is that you don't really care what the community as a whole wants. You are essentially grabbing some percentage of the members away to your new site and are actively encouraging people there not to post further on this site. Having EMK write flashy new plugins etc just adds legitimacy to this move.

Edited by patrickwilken on 23 July 2015 at 10:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4076 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 32 of 178
23 July 2015 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
This is essentially a schism then. Some want to stay in the old site, some want to
stay in the new site, but the added factor is that there are new members in the new
site not from the old site. The population of both would eventually equalise with most
wanting to stay in one instead of the other.

To me this is basically like a split territory with their own respecitve communities
as I said above: like West Germany/East Germany, North Dakota/South Dakota, Alta
California/Baja California, North Vietnam/South Vietnam, or North Korea/South Korea;
Both sides have their own opinions and would rather be in their preferred place than
the other. To me it seems that those that stay in the old site would have have a
fairly stable population number, but more new members join the new site until it
equals the old site, and eventually overtakes in number. The new site would probably be a mix of some disenchanted with the old site with completely new members, and the
old site basically almost all old members. I cannot really foresee any other result.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 23 July 2015 at 10:40am

This discussion contains 178 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version