Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fate of HTLAL

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
178 messages over 23 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 22 23 Next >>
basica
Australia
Joined 3323 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 33 of 178
23 July 2015 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
rdearman, I meant no offence and wasn't trying to paint you in a negative light. It appears in my attempt to argue a
point has caused me all this headache so I'm just going to shut up not put my foot in it further as it seems my
explanation skills suck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 34 of 178
23 July 2015 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
This is essentially a schism then. Some want to stay in the old site, some want to
stay in the new site, but the added factor is that there are new members in the new
site not from the old site. The population of both would eventually equalise with most
wanting to stay in one instead of the other.

And this is what pisses me off. We don't need to split. It's being forced on us by pushing a decision through whether we like it or not. It's the middle of the summer holidays. Some people are just not online all the time.

There is a lot of loud discussion about how the software here is crap. OK. But the other side of it is that the community is great. Those pushing the new site with it's flashy software are destroying the community. Personally I value the community more than flashy software, for others it's the other way around.

For me any new site needs to be community run, which means at a minimum the community decides who the moderators and administrators are, not the the other way around; because it's the community structures (not the software) that will inevitably make for a strong and vibrant community (as HTLAL ironically shows).

Personally, I think a split is also inevitable now too since the other site isn't going offline and sufficient old members have already voted with their feet. I am sufficiently annoyed with the way this is happening that I think I'll either stay here (and watch HTLAL die) or simply vanish into the virtual aether. Which is disappointing, and unnecessary.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 35 of 178
23 July 2015 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
First of all, could we please take one step back? Comparing the current situation at
HTLAL with the separation of East and West Germany or North and South Korea is a little
bit dramatic. Calling it a "schism" and comparing it to the separation of the Catholic
and Orthodox Church nearly 1000 years ago doesn't help either.

All people involved have pleaded for patience, so I don't see that any decision is
being "pushed through". We had a similar situation one or two years ago when the forum
was down and there was an emergency forum. After HTLAL was online again, some people
kept posting in the emergency forum, but most returned to HTLAL. Similar situation
about a year ago, when we found a refuge at PolyDog.

However, this is the third incident of that sort within short time and it's getting
tiresome. I fully understand if some people decide to stay at HTLAL.org and I have
thought about this decision myself. At the same time, all people have repeatedly stated
that no final decision will be made until FX has made a statement about the current
situation and future of HTLAL.

Of course, there will be some fluctuation between the two forums in the meantime and,
in the worst case, FX won't say anything at all. So, what are we going to do then? If
the admin really doesn't answer to our questions, I think the community will have to
decide in a poll. This is the only democratic solution.

The other solution would be voting "with our feet" or what some people here call
"schism". This would be a very deplorable development and only time could tell which
side would have the better future, but simply closing our eyes, staying at HTLAL, and
pretending nothing ever happened won't help either. There will be more incidents of
this sort and the state of the software won't improve magically.

I don't say migration is inevitable, but if the community is to stay at HTLAL, FX has
to do something about this site. And we shouldn't forget that a big part of the
community already has voted with their feet. The forum community has shrunk drastically
within the last three years because of the aforementioned problems. Should we simply
ignore that? How is HTLAL to continue or even grow if more and more people leave it
anyway?

The only one who could do something about it is FX, but he ignores us. We're waiting
for Godot, people. Wake up!

Edited by Josquin on 23 July 2015 at 11:18am

10 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 36 of 178
23 July 2015 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

The only one who could do something about it is FX, but he ignores us. We're waiting
for Godot, people. Wake up!

This is also a bit of rhetoric. It is the summer holidays. According to EMK as soon as he found out about the outage on Monday he fixed it by Tuesday. That's not to say that he is fairly absent and also that the software is outdated. No argument there.

To say that people are patiently waiting for a decision is also wrong though. EMK says that, at the same time as writing every more interesting plugins for the new site. So of course the decision is being made. The new site isn't going down, and some of our most active old members have left HTLAL.

I would feel much better about this if the new site's URL wasn't how-to-learn-any-language.org. It's clearly designed to act as an alternative for this community here on HTLAL, not as a new independent language site (like Polydog).

Edited by patrickwilken on 23 July 2015 at 11:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5570 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 37 of 178
23 July 2015 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
rdearman wrote:

So I think it is a little unfair to paint me as someone who is running some
kind of pirate site and trying to steal users. I put up an alternative,
emergency site in good faith to help the community have some meeting point. I
didn't consider that the alternative might be better than the original and
people might not want to leave.

I wouldn't call it a 'pirate' site, but it's also not an 'emergency' site if
it keeps going after the original site is back up.

I very much doubt that you would create a lot of enemies if you simply froze
the site for a few days until the community as a whole could come to a
decision. My impression is that you don't really care what the community as a
whole wants. You are essentially grabbing some percentage of the members away
to your new site and are actively encouraging people there not to post further
on this site. Having EMK write flashy new plugins etc just adds legitimacy to
this move.

I think you're being a bit unfair on him there. In the first place I can
confirm that I have seen posts on there from people who aren't even members
here, and from at least one poster who claimed not to have been able to join
this one.

Frankly I am amazed this site is still going at all given that some kind of
outage is now pretty much an annual occurance, it's not mobile friendly, you
have to be a paying member to use the search function (even for your own
posts!), doing anything takes about 3 times as long as you might expect from
other forums, etc, etc, etc.

It speaks volumes about the community that it has survived as long as it has.

We have to give FX a chance, but make no mistake, in the long term there are
only 3 options here: we move to a new site, FX comes to some sort of agreement
about modernising and running the site, or the community dies a slow, lingering death. Carrying on isn't actually on the table, as all the figures on new members and posting activity show.

Implying that some people are taking advantage of the situation is neither
fair nor helpful IMO.

Edited by Random review on 23 July 2015 at 11:28am

12 persons have voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3629 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 38 of 178
23 July 2015 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
My impression is that you don't really care what the community as a whole wants. You are essentially grabbing some percentage of the members away to your new site and are actively encouraging people there not to post further on this site. Having EMK write flashy new plugins etc just adds legitimacy to this move.

- I think the majority of people here are adults and can decide by themselves where they want to go, even if there is a big "flock effect", that I can understand.
- I won't defend emk, but what he's done is just installing 2 or 3 mods that anyone can download on the internet. Nothing is flashy, it's just the way it works now with modern platforms.
- As a personal note, I wouldn't want that this site or the other in .org become a video streaming platform as we're currently seing on Facebook, where stupid videos with stupid comments replace more and more the texts.
4 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 39 of 178
23 July 2015 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:

Implying that some people are taking advantage of the situation is neither
fair nor helpful IMO.

Of course the people who wanted to move are taking advantage of the situation. That's obvious. Whether this is reasonable is another question which we can agree/disagree on. I think it's going to split the community and lead to unnecessary bad blood, but other's don't.

1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 40 of 178
23 July 2015 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
In addition to my previous post: a lot of people mention that this forum is not mobile friendly. It definitely
doesn't have a special layout for smartphones, but you can use it as good as if you were using a computer:
the structure of the forum is simple and it doesn't consume a lot of data even if you set up showing pictures
in your browser.
The biggest problem I have are links which stop working if they are longer than one line, it's just like with
Chrome-based browsers on computers.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 178 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version