soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 4
23 July 2015 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
I use Netflix for watching movies in German, but my subscription is only for streaming/instant and I've pretty much run out of German movies to watch that way (there isn't much of a selection). I was thinking of paying the extra $8/mo so I can just get the physical DVDs (typically a wider selection), but Netflix doesn't let you browse their DVD selection without the DVD subscription (I was able to view their Top Foreign Language Movies section, but that only shows a few movies and I can't browse the rest of their selection). Poor business model unless I'm missing something, but I digress.

Can anyone vouch that Netflix has a good selection for foreign language DVDs, worth the $8/mo extra?

Also, are there any competitors to Netflix these days? I'm a bit out of the media consumption loop nowadays.

Oh, and I'm in the US. Thanks!

Edited by soclydeza85 on 23 July 2015 at 10:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

LtM
Triglot
United States
Joined 5654 days ago

130 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 2 of 4
23 July 2015 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
When I ran a search, 285 German-language movies showed up, everything from the original Nosferatu through
Der Untergang and other recent hits.

Any specific titles that you want me to search for while I'm leaving that Netflix tab open on my browser?
3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
23 July 2015 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Even with a DVD plan it's a pain to search for things on Netflix. I agree that it has
a really poor interface.

See if this works for you:

gpgid=2514">Ger

Edit:
Even better, this page should make it easy to find movies by country:

All Genres

For French there is a lot of junk and a few good movies.

Edited by kanewai on 23 July 2015 at 11:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 4 of 4
24 July 2015 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the quick replies!

LtM, no specific titles, I just wanted to know that a good amount of German movies exists.

kanewai, the link you posted definitely looks better than the genre listing for streaming, I'll take it!

I've decided to invest the yet-another-language-learning exense and get the DVD subscription, thanks for the help!

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version