23 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3703 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 9 of 23
04 August 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
One of the things I was considering was moving to country X, and working there as an English interpreter, I really wouldn't mind especially if it were in Europe. I don't know if I said, but my goal if I complete the EE degree is to work in aerospace. French is my best language, though it's not at a stable fluency yet, though it is getting there. I'd love to use that language every day if I could in some capacity, though again I'd like to use the others as well, I'm open to anything at the moment.
1 person has voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5331 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 10 of 23
05 August 2015 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:
One of the things I was considering was moving to country X, and working there
as an English interpreter, I really wouldn't mind especially if it were in Europe. I don't know if I said,
but my goal if I complete the EE degree is to work in aerospace. French is my best language, though
it's not at a stable fluency yet, though it is getting there. I'd love to use that language every day if I
could in some capacity, though again I'd like to use the others as well, I'm open to anything at the
moment.

As long as you realize that you're going to have to take courses in interpreting (it would behove to get
a Masters in it) that sounds like a good goal. One of my current goals is to become a translator (from
German into English) but some of the steps to get there include getting a masters in translation. If
you do want to become an interpreter I highly suggest at least minoring in the language (or perhaps
majoring in the language and minoring in EE).

aokoye
Diglot
Joined 5331 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 

Message 11 of 23
05 August 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
I also couldn't agree more with what Jtdotto's post. Right now I'm looking at translation programs at
German universities and the interpreting programs are very intense (there actually aren't many BA
programs in interpreting in Germany from what I can tell). Both interpreting and translating
professionally are, from what I can tell, not things that you can kind of hmm and haw over. They
require a lot of study and an incredibly high level of proficiency from both a linguistic standpoint and
a theoretical standpoint.

That isn't to say that you can't get to that point, but it's not a things that you can quickly make into a
career change despite storing up linguistic skills.

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3703 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 

Message 12 of 23
05 August 2015 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
I wish I had never asked the question. I'm feeling like once again I've found something I'm good at but is completely useless to me.

aokoye
Diglot
Joined 5331 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 

Message 13 of 23
05 August 2015 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:
I wish I had never asked the question. I'm feeling like once again I've found
something I'm good at but is completely useless to me.

You're in school and thus in the position to become good enough to at least do translation. I mean, I
understand the sentiment, really I do, but you are at a place in your life (in college) where you can, at
the very least, get on the trajectory of becoming a translator. Another thing would be ASL interpreting
which is definitely a, "you need to go to school to do this" and also a thing that is in demand in the
US (in the case of ASL most interpreters are not hearing children of deaf parents).

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3703 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 

Message 14 of 23
05 August 2015 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
To be clear are we talking translation of "tech books" and such? I really do not want to do that.

aokoye
Diglot
Joined 5331 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 

Message 15 of 23
05 August 2015 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:
To be clear are we talking translation of "tech books" and such? I really do not
want to do that.

We're talking about translation of all types. I mean I personally want to do technical documentat but
that's because I like doing technical writing (and even that isn't "tech books", it's more end user
documentation). But no, when most people say "translation" they're talking about translation of any
written text. This includes literary texts, news articles, non fiction stuff, subtitles, advertising, etc.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 23
05 August 2015 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
If you want to translate novels (which is something I would love to do, something I would go to study if I had the choice now), you usually need a degree in literature, translating something like that. Lots of humanities, lots of classics reading and analysis, some language studies included. The publishers have tons of people to choose from in that case and those with literature-language-translating degree are just seen as better prepared for the job, no matter the fact many of them are really bad and lazy.

If you do not want to do engineering, do not want to do tech books and documentation, if you still can change degree, go for it. If you enjoy engineering at least partially, you have a great future with it and languages before you. If you hate your field and cannot switch: welcome to hell.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version