Groupie
Italy
Joined 3850 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 1 of 8
10 August 2015 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys! I was wondering about how do you perceive mistakes in a foreign language...for
example if someone would say "YOU DOESN'T KNOW IT", how bad would that sound to you (non
english native speakers)?? Would it be as bad as in your native language or not?

I found myself not really bothering at all as long as I obviously understand what is being
said, while of course a mistake in my native language (italian) would immediately "irritate"
me.

Second question: what is the most common mistake native speakers do in your language??
In Italy lots of people would say for example "GLI PARLO" referring to a woman instead of
"LE PARLO" (GLI=to him LE=to her) let alone the use of conjuctive mood which is really
struggling for many people. Example --------> PENSO CHE TU SIA INTELLIGENTE (right) vs PENSO
CHE TU SEI INTELLIGENTE (wrong)...meaning "I think you're smart"
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4967 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 8
11 August 2015 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Interestingly I seem to be a lot more aware of mistakes in foreign languages than in my native English. Basic gender and usage mistakes in French hurt my ears, and when Italians don't use the conjunctive properly I notice. Yet when I speak English with non-natives I'm very tolerant of their mistakes and I barely even notice unless they impede understanding. And native speakers of French and Italian tend to compliment learners very highly if their accent is good, even if they make mistakes in every sentence: seems as if the good accent "hides" the mistakes.

Maybe this is just because with my target languages I've done a lot of grammar study and I've developed an ear for detecting and correcting my own mistakes, which makes me more aware and critical of those of others too.
2 persons have voted this message useful

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3436 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Icelandic, Korean, Polish

Message 3 of 8
14 August 2015 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
I hardly notice small mistakes in English (I actually find them charming and interesting,
especially if the person making the tiny mistake doesn't have an accent!), but something
like "you doesn't know it" is pretty bad and grating in my opinion, not that I'd be rude
about it.

I'm not great at noticing small mistakes in French or Spanish, and I kind of have to
search for them. However, I do immediately notice if an English speaker is using English
sentence construction with French words pasted on.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4204 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 8
15 August 2015 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
In a country like Canada we have a multi-ethnic society with people from many countries. It is understandable the first generation immigrants in the country would have foreign accents when speaking English. Depending on the country of origin, speaking English with some accents are easier to listen to than others.

I know someone who came from Hong Kong over 20 years ago with Cantonese as his first language. He works in a call center as a Customer Service Rep. talking on the phone in English all day. He does make grammatical mistakes occasionally like "he don't" instead of "he doesn't". It's rather odd to know he received an university Bachelor degree in Economics but has trouble writing proper English sentences. He once tried to write a letter to a government agency and got the word "witness" as a noun when the sentence required a verb.

The 1 time I did find a mistake rather distracting while listening to an English radio program from Beijing with a man as a host from England and a Chinese lady as the co-host. The Chinese lady spoke English without a noticeable accent except that she made 1 grammatical error when she said something like "he was teach..." instead of "he was taught..." If you are going to be on radio, the listeners expect you not to make these common mistakes. Using the American way of saying something instead of the British way like "gas station" instead of "petrol station" would still be acceptable.

Edited by shk00design on 16 August 2015 at 3:29am

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3302 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 5 of 8
18 August 2015 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
If you are going to be on radio, the listeners expect you not to make these common mistakes. Using the American way of saying something instead of the British way like "gas station" instead of "petrol station" would still be acceptable.

Saying "gas station" when you believe "petrol station" to be the local variety is not a 'mistake'. Both terms are understandable by any educated audience.

Mistakes happen to us all. When speaking we often start a sentence without thinking about how we're going to end it, so it will run on, we'll use the wrong words, etc. When writing we often don't read every single letter of every word, so we misspell things, etc. It's not a "second language learner"-only thing.

I've often heard it said by speakers of a specific language, something to the effect of "we don't make that mistake", referring to some specific grammatical item, pronunciation, word, etc. Wrong. Everybody makes every type of mistake.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 18 August 2015 at 11:02pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 8
19 August 2015 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
They bother me more in non-native languages because I've worked so hard to avoid them. (Finnish and especially English)

Tortuga
United Kingdom
Joined 3147 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 8
19 August 2015 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
A mistake that I hear a lot here in the UK, which really bothers me is when native speakers don't conjugate
verbs properly. For example "you was...", "we does...".

However, it doesn't bother me if a non-native speaker does these things, as I understand that learning a second language isn't easy, but for people who only speak one language to constantly make grammatical errors is very annoying to me haha.

Edited by Tortuga on 24 August 2015 at 10:40pm

Ruan
Diglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5941 days ago

95 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 8 of 8
24 August 2015 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Tortuga wrote:
A mistake that I hear a lot here in the UK, which really bothers me is when native speakers don't conjugate
verbs properly. For example "you was...", "we does...".

This happens a lot where I live in Brazil. During a civil war, southern Brazilians migrated to the north. They brought with them some new musical instruments,
like the accordion, and a new pronoun: Tu. However, northern Brazilians did not assimilate the proper declensions for Tu ( like "Tu vais" "Tu pegastes" ). They
just replace Você by Tu and use the declesions that are meant for Você ( as in "Tu vai" and "Tu pegou" ).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version