1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 8
11 August 2015 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
I'm peeling this off of another thread:

iguanamon wrote:
One of the things I would love to see on a new forum is more
respect for languages other than English. The multilingual lounge mainly is a place
for other second language learners to practice their second language with each other.
The last thing I want to do is interact with other native English-speakers in a second
language on a regular basis.

The Portuguese thread on HTLAL seems to have more native-speaker participation than
the Spanish one, but still focuses on Portuguese as a language and less on just
general language-learning.

What I would like to see is the same or similar discussion about language-learning we
have in English, in Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Hindi, Mandarin, Arabic, German,
Esperanto and French. On a practical level, it would mean a dramatic increase in
moderators- native speaker moderation, such native speakers would have to sign on to
the forums rules and enforce them. They would need to be bilingual to interact with
the administrator(s). It would mean native speaker members would have to tolerate
mistakes from non-native speakers as we are accustomed to doing in English. It would
mean a better text correction interface. If it were a place where native-speakers felt
comfortable in posting and they knew that they would get answers/responses from other
native-speakers in addition to second-language speakers, then I think we would really
be on our way to being truly international.

I love the idea of working towards a true world forum, and I've actually given some
thought on how we'd get there. It would take a lot of work, and some major structural
changes, but I think it's possible.

Native speaker moderation
Iguanamon already discussed this.

Rule changes
I very much agree with the intent of the current rules:

LANGUAGE
Please post messages in English. If you wish to write in a different language, use
the Multilingual Lounge or Private Messaging.

SPELLING
Please spell correctly. If English is not your mother tongue, you may not be able
to write every word correctly, but at least try to. If you are a native English
speaker, watch your spelling. It is a lack of respect for other users of the forum not
to write correctly, even so more in the face of people who had to study your language
for years and write it better than you do. If you can't spell it, don't write it.

I think we'd want to enforce similar spelling and grammar rules for all languages in
any 'front page' posts. Iguanamon also touched on this: If posts are dominated by
language learners then it won't be appealing for native speakers. Language practice
should still be reserved for the multilingual lounges and personal logs.

Interface
Having the option to view the site in alternate languages would be a major step
towards saying: this site welcomes speakers of all languages, even if they don't know
English.   We'd want to translate the main pages also (I found the forums through
language profiles). This would take a lot of work.   

Select posts by language
Maybe we'll become huge in China ... and be swamped by TAC logs in Cantonese. We'll
want a way to sort through posts in our own target languages.

Google Outreach
We'll want to improve out google rankings as soon as the situation is stabilized,
regardless of what changes we make.   If I do a search on "How to learn ..."
I get similar results for every language I type in: rosetta stone, bbc, babbel,
duolingo, wikihow, and fluentin3months always seem to be near the top. I scrolled
through 12 pages of results for "How to learn Italian" and HTLAL didn't even show up.
This is tragic.

Edited by kanewai on 11 August 2015 at 11:09pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 8
12 August 2015 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Good thoughts, kanewai! This can get things started. I'm glad to see people are thinking outside the box. Just because we have been one way for a long time doesn't mean we have to continue that way. I agree that it won't be easy and, I believe it will take some time to develop. The .org site already has a French, Spanish and Finnish interface. It certainly can be done.

Every so often, I'll see a post here asking about where to find forums like HTLAL in other languages, and... they're just aren't any that compare. If we could somehow provide the same type of forum in some of the world's biggest languages, it would not only be a boon for self-learners all over the world but a huge help to the rest of us as well.

Someone is going to do it, it may as well be us :)

Edited by iguanamon on 12 August 2015 at 6:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5007 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 3 of 8
12 August 2015 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Actually, I am going to do it -- partly, at least.

I have wanted to create 'my own HTLAL' for quite some time (years), and now the moment finally approaches when I'll be able to do it. Everything should start happening in some months' time, after I'm done rearranging some servers I administer and putting off the fires that will inevitably arise. If all goes well, I will be only 18 months behind schedule ;)

Not that it was a big secret or anything, but so far I only have told some people that I was toying with the idea -- I have been involved in too many projects that didn't even take off, and this being a strictly personal one is prone to suffer all kinds of delays and rearranging of priorities. Heck, I still could end up chucking it.

Anyway, the project roughly consists in creating a website to host some home-brewed language 'courses', and some programs to ease the creation of language learning materials I deem of utility. This would be the 'dogmatic' part of the site, for I'll be shaping it according to my own ideas on language learning. I'm very aware there's much more to it, so a forum to exchange ideas will play pretty much the same role as HTLAL, with one key difference: my site will be oriented to language learners that are either native Spanish speakers or proficient enough to communicate in Spanish. If interest in collaborative writing is sparked, I may add a Wiki. Going truly 'multilingual' as you propose is something I would considerate only if I achieve some degree of success with all of this, as I just got that idea from here and the task would be immense. My 'tools', however, will be open to speakers of all languages from the get-go.

I don't know if I should give any more details about it, perhaps it would be more prudent to wait until I can start it for real. But if you want to know anything about it, just ask.

This project could be, of course, integrated in some grander scheme of things if people here are interested.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 8
12 August 2015 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
I volunteer to write copiously about language learning in Portuguese, but I'd also be interested into writing about language learning in French, Norwegian or any other upper-intrmediate languages. If the motto 'if you can't spell it, don't write it' should be reinforced, I should stop writing for once then. I have the feeling i've been repeating myself for a long time already, so at least I should try saying the same things into different languages and gain some practice. And provided the discussion is interesting, I'd also be more interested into reading other non-native posts.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 8
12 August 2015 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Spelling can be easily solved by installing an extension within your browser. I use firefox so here's how to install a multilingual spell checker in firefox and here are the dictionaries/language packs so you can see what's available. It's a simple solution that I use everyday. Sadly, it won't correct grammar :(.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 6 of 8
13 August 2015 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Right, but I do mean grammar. I usually run spellcheck for my weaker languages even if just with Google Translate.

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3457 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Icelandic, Korean, Polish

Message 7 of 8
14 August 2015 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
I would be excited to write on a multilingual forum in Spanish or French. A reason I
often cut down my time scrolling through this forum is that it's all in English, and I
don't really need to practice my English.... Now, if @mrwarper 's Spanish language forum
works out, I could waste hours and hours on there guilt-free.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5007 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 8 of 8
14 August 2015 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
There's only so much you are ready to say (and hear) about languages, so one important reason why I have been crawling around 'so much' here is that I could practice English as a bonus :)

Technically I could set everything up in a few days, but I don't think it would be all right to prioritize it over other stuff I have to do. I, of course, will let you all know if everything works out and I can make it happen. Meanwhile, and now the cat's out of the bag, I'm open to questions either here or by PM.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version