Rozzie
United States
Joined 3172 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 5
13 August 2015 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
So I made flash cards and I am studying with them but since I didn't do any language learning yesterday I
decided to quiz myself on what I remember from the other day. I using the sentence flash card system where
one side has Spanish and the other side has English. There is twenty-nine sentences and I'm using quizlets
as my flash cards since I already had an account with them. So I did the first seven sentences what I did
was cover the Spanish sentence and I looked at the English spence and wrote the Spanish sentence in my
notebook. I got two wrong out of the seven I tested myself on so what I did is rewrite the Spanish sentences
not just the ones I got wrong but all seven sentences. Is that a good idea or is there a better way to
understand Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4986 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 5
15 August 2015 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Doing exercises, or otherwise working on your languages between more formal 'study' sessions to keep a steady rhythm is always a good idea, and quizzing yourself like that sure helps to reinforce your memory one way or another.

However, to me what you said sounds more like you are testing your ability to recall and produce stock/memorized phrases than your comprehension.

Anyway, as long as you can break the sentences down into chunks you understand individually, i.e. you really understand them, I can't see why that would not be a good idea to do it. Maybe not the most efficient one, but that depends on many factors, so I'd recommend you to dig around the forum a bit and see what other people do and compare rather than prescribe stuff from the start.

Rozzie
United States
Joined 3172 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 5
15 August 2015 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Thank you

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 5
15 August 2015 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
You can also make your own exercises :)

But in general comprehension is improved much faster through texts rather than individual sentences. In the beginning you can try music and eventually books too. And the free lessons at GLOSS.
2 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3302 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 5 of 5
16 August 2015 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
Probably the most useful aspect of quizzing is that it gives you a measurement. For example, if you quiz yourself at week 1 and score 80% (using whatever scoring method you decide on), and then see your score rise to 90% after a few weeks, this is a good motivation. However, there are these caveats with whatever type of quiz you use (flashcards and SRS included of course):

1. The quizzes themselves don't teach you much.
2. All quizzes are by their nature uninteresting. Don't spend more than 15 minutes at a time on them.
3. You will eventually memorize or "master" your particular quiz questions or flash cards, but having done so does not mean you're "finished" with that material. At best it just means you mastered the few examples that you happened to choose. For example, to really "know" a word is a skill quite different than to remember several flash card example sentence translations involving that word.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 16 August 2015 at 1:28am

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version