United Kingdom
Joined 3176 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 6
13 August 2015 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
l was looking through the non forum part of the website and found a paragraph that says:

The hair shirt way of language learning : Monks of some orders use hair shirt, a shirt with something inside
that itches their skin. They wear it all day long, don't ask me why. Some people seem to think that language
learning, like a hair shirt, must be painful to work. That's not true. You'll learn a language much more
efficiently with a Peruvian girl friend than with several years of grammar at school.

It could possibly help with my Spanish I think but I'm not sure how it could help with German and Italian. Is
there a large German speaking population within Peru like there is in Brazil? I don't really like talking to
people as it is, never mind having relationships. People ask why I want to learn languages and when I tell
them that I just want to understand more they look at me like I'm an absolute idiot. Would it be more
beneficial to have multiple friends or acquaintances from the countries of my target languages rather than
just a girlfriend from Peru who might only know a little bit of Italian and German?

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 6
14 August 2015 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
ExRN wrote:
Is there a large German speaking population within Peru like there is in Brazil? I don't really like talking to people as it is, never mind having relationships.

If you're so misanthropic you may have better luck with dark music in German like Rammstein or Lacrimosa.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 6
14 August 2015 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Amen.

ExRN
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3176 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 4 of 6
14 August 2015 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
No. Rammstein don't really do it for me really. Why would you think I would like them?

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 5 of 6
14 August 2015 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Having spent quite a load of time learning German without using it for conversational purposes I can say that communicating with natives or even non-natives helps a lot, even if the very perspective of talking to someone is scary.
However, the way you use to ask this question... you can get a girlfriend anywhere, and she can help you with her native language, but this is not a magic pill. You can also have some language exchange with a bunch of people, but that doesn't solve the problem either - you'd still have to do some other studies. Communication merely helps to get everything together - both the ability to understand and produce. And you can have both simultaneously. At least in theory.
If you are not sure whether it's worth to act against you misanthropic nature (I know the pain, yep) try talking to yourself. I kid you not.

And music is a great way, just so you know. But not Rammstein, I agree xD

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5322 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 6 of 6
15 August 2015 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to have to agree with everyone (or most everyone at least) and vote not on the girlfriend bit.
Relationships (romantic and otherwise) take a lot of work and as idyllic as it sounds at first, it just
doesn't seem like a good idea for a number of reasons.

I would go for listening to music, watching tv/movies or doing language exchanges. There are a ton
of non region restricted German tv shows (of various genres) streaming online as well which is nice.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version