Triglot
France
Joined 4278 days ago

36 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1, Italian

Message 1 of 7
15 August 2015 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

Do you think there is a big difference between each Assimil book in term of (useful)
vocabulary ?

I used Assimil to learn Italian. It worked great. (I'm French so maybe it's easier for me
as the languages are really close)

I used Assimil for several Slavic languages and I didn't reach the same level in term of
vocabulary. Sometimes I thought some dialogues were outdated or even irrelevant.

So I was wondering, maybe if I try to find a partner and use the Italian book to learn a
Slavic language I would have better results ?

Or maybe it's because there are too many words that are not related.

I am patient/Je suis patient (fr)/Sono paziente (ita) but ja sam strpljiv (srb)

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 7
15 August 2015 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Nikolić has tried to create his own Assimil Serbian :) Maybe he can do more lessons ;D

But yeah it's normal to have a lower level in Slavic languages than in Italian. If you've already completed the course, just start using native materials.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 7
15 August 2015 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Of course they are different, that is one of the huge advantages of Assimil, they do not try to fit all the languages on the same pattern. It is as well quite understandable that languages more different from the base will require more material to reach the same level as for the more similar languages.

For review of a particular Assimil, I recommend trying the logs or videos on youtube, such as those with Prof.Arguelles.

I might appear dumb, sorry about that, but how would an Italian course help you learn a slavic language? And I am not sure whether language partners are such a solution for beginners.

What I'd try, were I in your place:
-continue the Assimil, if you feel it works for you and are learning something.
-find more resources. another course to supplement assimil, a grammar book, vocab decks on memrise/anki, podcasts (the pod101 tend to have at least beginner stuff even for less popular languages), native input to use when you are ready.

If you are learning Serbian, you might be interested inc Chungs posts and language profiles, he is awesome and recommends tons of stuff.

And a specific issue about Serbian is its extreme closeness with Croatian, perhaps you could use the overlap to your advantage.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 7
16 August 2015 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
I think the OP was going to take the Italian sentences/dialogues and have people translate them into Serbian? :O

some more learners are basica (Serbian), Radioclare (Croatian) :))

Evanitious
Triglot
France
Joined 4278 days ago

36 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1, Italian

Message 5 of 7
16 August 2015 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I think the OP was going to take the Italian sentences/dialogues and have
people translate them into Serbian?

Yeah, that. Actually, I'm studying Bulgarian now xD

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 7
16 August 2015 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
I think such a translation would be a very tricky method. How would you, while being a beginner, translate them? You would hire that "language partner" to become your translator? That might work but I think it would be a very expensive method. Other than that, I cannot see any options.

There have been a few Bulgarian learners, I recommend searching for their logs as they are likely to be older. There might be lots of advice on resources.
2 persons have voted this message useful

eugrus
Triglot
Russian Federation
vkontakte.ru/euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4456 days ago

6 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 7 of 7
11 November 2015 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
I really like the French Assimil: it's funny
and meaty from the very beginning. On the
other hand the Assimil for Spanish looks
more like a dull phrasebook, sadly :(

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version