Ciara
United States
Joined 3181 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 9
20 August 2015 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
I am a new member here, though I have been visiting the site for a year and a half without being bold enough to sign-up. I always enjoyed the shared community in language learning, and, as I begin to delve into my own efforts at intensive language study, I decided it was time for me to try joining the community. I am starting from a minimal knowledge of Deutsch, about 150 words, but am setting the goal of doing my Master's studies in Germany, so I need to study appropriately. Keeping a log on a forum like this is outside of my comfort zone, but hopefully it will help keep me on track.

My current goal for the end of the year:
250 hours of German study
A minimum of a 750 word functional vocabulary
Be able to read short stories out loud
Be able to hold short conversations with my German friends on Skype

Hours completed starting from today: 2

If any of these goals begin to seem too easy, I will add to them, but now that they are written, there is no backing down.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ciara
United States
Joined 3181 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 2 of 9
24 August 2015 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
So I was a bit busy this week with 12 hour days on a boat, on Thursday I practiced for an hour on Mango languages for general study, on Friday I spent a half hour listening to music with lyrics and lyric translation on screen to practice which words I knew and could pick out, along with a half hour of Mango, and on Saturday spent another half hour listening to Disney music in German combined with watching an hour and a half long movie in German with no subtitles. I also spent time on Thursday and Friday studying a bit of grammar on the Deutsch Lingolia site, but I did not keep track of that time so I will not count it.

So far today I have spent an hour listening to German music, and an hour and 15 minutes on Mango, but plan to spend more time studying before the night is over.

I know that listening comprehension is one of my worst areas from my time studying Japanese, so I am trying to increase my time practicing listening.

Hours of study completed: 8.25
Words added to my vocabulary: 20

Next week I am going to try to find some German folk music with a similar sound to Alison Krauss or Julie Fowlis, to get some clear nice music to listen to while driving so I can get better listening practice.

Edited by Ciara on 24 August 2015 at 1:37am

Ciara
United States
Joined 3181 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 3 of 9
14 September 2015 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Things got a bit crazy, I only averaged an hour of study everyday and it was patchy throughout the day when I did manage it so I will only count half time on any of it. By this measure I only added 10 more study hours, but counting less time is pushing me to practice more to compensate now that my schedule cleared. I added more variety to my study; I found some good folk music, watched the movie Lore and learned a few new words from it as well as picked out a few sentences, I read a Terry Pratchett short story on Lspace in German, read some dual language poetry, and exploded the house with sticky notes labeling everything with their German names. This last one has really benefited me through being a frequent study reminder, as well as expanding my vocabulary.

Hours of study completed: 18.25

Tomorrow, I will be studying on Mango, and watching the director's cut of Das Boot.

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4942 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 4 of 9
14 September 2015 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Das Boot is a great movie. Good luck with your studies!

Ciara
United States
Joined 3181 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 5 of 9
22 September 2015 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Thank you! I really enjoyed the movie; the cinematography and set design was fantastic, though I think it wasn't the best for my level of language understanding. It was a bit specialized on some of the terminology. It also had great diversity on dialectic variations among cast members. However, by the end of the film I definitely knew tiefenmesser was the term for depth gauge, and it was good listening practice. I will probably rewatch it in a few months.

Do you have any recommendations for other good German movies, or German TV series that I could look up?

This week I am going to watch A Film Unfinished, and possibly parts of Der Ring Des Nibelungen, in addition to my regular studies.

Last week I got in a total of 12 hours of study time bringing the total to 30.25 hours.

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4942 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 6 of 9
22 September 2015 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
You might like Comedian Harmonists (American title: The Harmonists). It has some nice songs in it, and the German lyrics are easy to find online.

Edit: Here's a clip.

Edited by AlOlaf on 22 September 2015 at 5:37am

kyukumber
Japan
Joined 3528 days ago

11 posts - 30 votes

Message 7 of 9
22 September 2015 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
As far as German series go, I've heard a good thing about Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter, Stromberg, Doctor's Diary, Türkisch für Anfänger, Im Angesicht des Verbrechens, et cetera.

You can find transcripts here and some fan translations here for Türkisch für Anfänger.

You could also try German dubs of the shows you like.

By the way, in case you weren't aware, many of the members who had stuck around after the domain expiration debacle, the general lack of maintenance and so forth, have moved on to this new forum. Some visit both sites. Some still stick around here.

Just thought you should know.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ciara
United States
Joined 3181 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 8 of 9
26 October 2015 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for this. I just self moved, so everything I was doing just went to the back burner, with just spotty studying. I will definitely check out those suggestions and take a look at the new forum. Cheers

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version