United Kingdom
Joined 3189 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 10
21 August 2015 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
The App for Android that has 6000 words in three levels. Has anyone used it? Had positive results from it?
I still have anki installed but this seems a little more structured than a lot of the lists out there.
The problem I'm foreseeing is that it isn't strict SRS, are things really going to commit to memory after one
run through of exercises?
Granted, the 6000 words are a very strong foundation for any language but is it worth going through them
all as if you are right first time the word is forgotten from the review list.
Bit dubious on it. Anyone got any experience?
1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3336 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 2 of 10
21 August 2015 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
The app will surely not be any more advantageous than using 6000 flashcards. Only advantage is if you like to use your phone/tablet for such things. In that case, it's a plus.

Just to put it in perspective, if you write out 100 flash cards per week, you will have 5200 in one year. The discipline to do this weekly is probably going to be much more valuable than having someone hand you the 6000 already made.

That's why I like Anki but have never understood why people download premade decks. I tried a few but never was interested. I'd rather add a few words per week and can look at this total number as my own measurement of some kind of progress. Again, this measure is probably more valuable than the actual act of reviewing the cards. It's sort of like keeping a journal where I can look back and say "oh yeah I remember learning that word or hearing that the first time. Good times".

ExRN
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3189 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 3 of 10
21 August 2015 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Where do you select your words to put in anki? Frequency lists or just import random everyday terms?

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3336 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 4 of 10
21 August 2015 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
For starting out, textbooks I am learning from are the best source of vocabulary. Now when I listen to news or read articles I try to identify at least 10-20 new vocabulary items or expressions in each sitting. Try to guess their meanings first, and then if I want some clarification I will look them up after the broadcast is done.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4143 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 10
22 August 2015 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
Just to put it in perspective, if you write out 100 flash cards per
week, you will have 5200 in one year. The discipline to do this weekly is probably going to be
much more valuable than having someone hand you the 6000 already made.

That's why I like Anki but have never understood why people download premade decks.

Well, writing out 100 flashcards a week isn't so bad. But 5200 words won't get you far (at
least in languages that aren't similar lexically to the ones you're familiar with already).
And although finding new words in native content can be (at certain levels at least)
enjoyable, it can also be a bit slow (at certain levels, at least).

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4924 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 10
22 August 2015 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
Bleh. Single words, no sentences. I will say the audio is good, though. At least for the
Turkish, which I just tried.

The problem with this type of app/program is that you may learn to recognize words in their
dictionary form, but will never learn how to use them in a conversation.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 10
23 August 2015 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
A few questions:
Is the app paid?
-there are many free high quality alternatives, such as Anki or Memrise
Is it just a flashcard program or an SRS?
-these days, one should require an srs, especially as there are the high quality free srs programs. Rote learning of 6000 words without any easy/hard sorting sounds very tedious
How were the 6000 words chosen?
-and is the choice appropriate for your learning goals? Some lists are based on frequency in newspapers (actually that appears to be majority), some on movies, others on topics of everyday use. Don't forget that a large number (a few hundred words) may be wasted on functional words like "I, me, yourself, to", which means that there are going to be fewer "full meaning" verbs, nouns, adjectives and those tend to be the worst struggle when it comes to vocab learning.
-6000 is a different amount of words based on the way they are counted. Some learners count word families (related verb+noun+adjective may therefore count as one) while others (especially some companies that put more thought into marketing than functionality of their product) count even each verb form separately

May I ask the name of the developper? I'll try to find the app on ipad, many apps are being released on both platforms these days. I'd be interested to have a look at it.

Despite my curious questions, this app already stands out by offering 6000 while most others go for the easy and magical number 1000.

Rozzie
United States
Joined 3206 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 10
05 September 2015 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
ExRN wrote:
The App for Android that has 6000 words in three levels. Has anyone used it? Had positive
results from it?
I still have anki installed but this seems a little more structured than a lot of the lists out there.
The problem I'm foreseeing is that it isn't strict SRS, are things really going to commit to memory after one
run through of exercises?
Granted, the 6000 words are a very strong foundation for any language but is it worth going through them
all as if you are right first time the word is forgotten from the review list.
Bit dubious on it. Anyone got any experience?

I just downloaded the app I haven't used it yet. I'll tell you what I think once I use it. By the way thanks for
telling people about it.👍🏽

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version