Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 13
29 August 2015 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Cortina Russian on Celtie? We'll see.
This is simply an advisory to the effect that I have sent an Email to Cortina Learning International and to Indiana University, Centre for Language Technology, Recorded Materials Archive informing them that I have a PDF copy of the textbook Cortina Conversational Russian in 20 Lessons as well as an MP3 copy of the audio recordings (re-recorded), that I would like to submit for inclusion in the Recorded Materials Archive, subject to the permission of Cortina Learning International. I have requested that these organisations communicate with one another on this matter and I have offered to provide the files to both parties.

Background
First, I would note that Cortina ceased publishing their Russian course many years ago and that, in response to a written enquiry of mine from late last year, they advised me that they no longer had copies of the textbook or the audio recordings. Undaunted, I purchased a used copy of the textbook via Amazon. Sometime later, in something of a "non sequitur" series of postings, a fellow HTLAL Forum Member kindly mentioned to me that he had acquired audio files that had been "re-recorded" to accompany the textbook, by unknown persons, circa 1971. Chat-chat-chat, Email-Email-Email, and I acquired a set of the files. And, sometime afterwards, memo to self: Speakeasy, you idiot! Get these things on the Celtie website!

Cortina Spanish?
Would any fellow HTLAL Forum Members have already tried Cortina Spanish? If so, I would greatly appreciate receiving a Private Message concerning a possible exchange of files. Merci à l'avance!

Edited by Speakeasy on 29 August 2015 at 5:59am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 2 of 13
02 September 2015 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Update-1
Having not yet received a reply to my original Email, I have just sent a gentle reminder to Cortina International and to Indiana University requesting that they agree to the posting of the "legacy" language course "Cortina Russian" on Celtie. Their continued silence does not bode well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 3 of 13
04 September 2015 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
I have copied/pasted this post from the "other" HTLAL:

Cortina Russian Textbook
Last year, in a private exchange of Emails, a fellow HTLAL member told me that he had three different copies of the Cortina Russian book, ranging from 1951 through 1964, all entitled “Cortina’s Russian in 20 Lessons”. As far as he could see, they are identical in terms of text and pagination. For example, they all make reference to the pronunciation record on pg. 195. He noticed some minor differences, but that they are subtle and of no real moment in terms of what the books contains. He mentioned that the 1951 (1st) edition is smaller in thickness because it uses thinner, nicer, and noticeably whiter paper. Also, it is the only one that has the “Cortina Conversaphone Language System” logo on the title page. He noted that the 1964 (5th) edition has nice line drawings, red in colour, scattered throughout the text, and added that the little line drawings do make for a nicer text, but it seems to be a toss-up between the whiter, nicer paper in the 1st edition and the nicely illustrated 5th edition. My copy of Cortina Russian is the 1957 (3rd) edition and seems to have the same jacket cover and text as the one reviewed in Professor Arguelles' video; however, that can be misleading, particularly given the comments of our fellow HTLAL member. There is no ISBN number on my edition. There are several editions available via Amazon, AbeBooks, Alibris, etcetera. However, since these are invariably offered by smaller bookstores who offer their wares via the larger online retailers and, since their older editions are not always compatible with the online retailers' coding systems, it is possible that one can order one edition and receive another. In my experience, the smaller bookstores are being neither negligent nor deceptive, it is simply how the system works.

Cortina Russian Audio Recordings
Although Cortina's staff advised that the company did not produce audio recordings to accompany their Russian course, the HTLAL member with whom I corresponded told me that he had purchased the original 78 rpm records on EBay. At the time, Cortina referred to these records as the “Cortina Conversaphone Language System”. These would be the "original" recordings to which I referred in my original post. There is still at least one offer on EBay: EBay Cortina Russian 78 rpm records . The second set of recordings that I have were, according to sources on the Internet, "re-recorded" circa 1971. The source and/or identity of the persons/organisations are unknown to me. The speaking roles in the textbook, both male and female, were recorded by a woman, apparently a non-professionally-voice-trained native-speaker. While the sound quality is not up to the standards of most commercial recordings, these "re-recorded" files contain all of the exercises and vocabulary lists that are absent in the "original" recordings, making them much more useful. It is my hope that Cortina International will authorise the Indiana University to post both sets of recordings on their Celtie website.

Update-2
Late yesterday, I received an Email reply from the President of Cortina International requesting more information and she advised that she would be communicating directly with the Indiana University. So, perhaps the "light at the end of the tunnel" is not an on-coming train, after all.

Edited by Speakeasy on 04 September 2015 at 10:56pm

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 4 of 13
10 September 2015 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Update-3
I am pleased to advise that Ms. Magdalen Livesey, President, Cortina Learning International, Inc., has kindly endorsed the proposal that the audio recordings of the language course “Cortina Conversational Russian in 20 Lessons” be hosted on the Celtie website. I have sent an Email to the Indiana University, Centre for Language Technology, Recorded Materials Archive requesting that someone from their organisation communicate with me so that we might arrange for a transfer of the files.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 13
11 September 2015 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Wow. That is excellent news. Cudos to Ms Livesey and Cortina!

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 6 of 13
12 September 2015 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Update-4
Great news! Ms. Rebecca Muth, Language Materials Coordinator, Center for Language Technology (Celt), has agreed to host the Cortina Russian materials on the Celt website. I have uploaded the materials to a File Host website and have sent her an Email with the links. I also advised her that I will be exploring Ms.Livesey’s comment: “I wonder if they would be interested in any of our other languages.” Be still, my heart!

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 7 of 13
12 September 2015 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Acknowledgments

I wish to underscore that this small success in hosting the Cortina Russian materials on the Indiana University CeLT could not have been realized without the collaboration of the following people:

Ms. Magdalen Livesey, President, Cortina Learning International, Inc.
Ms. Rebecca Muth, Language Materials Coordinator, Center for Language Technology (Celt), Indiana University
Fellow HTLAL Forum Members: Jpazzz, daristani, n_f_l .

I wish to extend my sincere appreciation for their encouragement, their support, and their practical assistance in this project, particularly that of the fellow HTLAL members. I was but a vector for their hidden contributions.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 8 of 13
14 September 2015 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Closure
First, I would like to express my sincere appreciation to all those who supported this small project. Second, Ms. Magdalen Livesey, President, Cortina Learning International, Inc., who very generously gave her permission for hosting the Cortina Russian course on the Indiana University's CeLT website, has confirmed to me that the remaining Cortina language courses form part of an on-going business. Finally, in my view, it would not be untoward were the odd member of this forum to express his/her appreciation to Ms. Livesey in a short message via Cortina's "Contact Us" portal on their wesite: Cortina Languages
This file is closed.

Edited by Speakeasy on 15 September 2015 at 12:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version