My workflow for Movies and Audiobooks

Tags: Movies | Audiobook
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5114 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 1 of 4
07 September 2015 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 

I am using the subtitle editing program Aegisub to work through movies and audio books.

I will decipher each sentence one by one, and listen again until my mind can parse it correctly and recall the meanings of any new words instantly or in a very short time.

I will load the file with Aegisub. I will use both my target language subtitles and English subtitles, loading one of them in Aegysub, and keeping the other in a text editor for reference. It would help a lot when the target language subs matches the spoken text, but even if does not it is helpful, for vocabulary items of interest are often given the same translation in the subs as in the dub. For audiobooks I will create a new subtitle from zero, (only for the lines that gave me trouble), keeping the text in another window for reference.

Then, I will listen every line. If a line has any new vocabulary, I will paste the definition into the subtitle, then I will replay the line until I can parse it correctly by listening. If I can understand the line on the first try, I will just delete it.

When I get to the end of the file (or of a fragment of reasonable size), I will save a copy, and return to the begging, repeating the process. Any line that I can understand quickly and without reference on the first try gets deleted. Any line that gives me any trouble will be repeated a few times, checking the definitions pasted on the subtitle as necessary.

The cycle is repeated until there be no more lines left in the file.

Then, I can listen to the whole file in one go and understand nearly 100% of it, I will listen again to the file every once in a while, to get a strong imprinting.

Interestingly, once I have done this, the ability to understand that audio does not seem to be subject to memory decay, so I am freed from using SRS at last ;-).

Edited by luhmann on 07 September 2015 at 5:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 4
07 September 2015 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
luhmann wrote:
I will listen again to the file every once in a while, to get a strong imprinting.

That's basically SRS too.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 3 of 4
17 September 2015 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
This sounds like a lot of work, why not just use subs2SRS? You can essentially do the same thing, deleting cards you know well until you've deleted them all.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5114 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 4 of 4
18 September 2015 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
This sounds like a lot of work, why not just use subs2SRS? You can essentially do the same thing, deleting cards you know well until you've deleted them all.

Actually it is quick and easy once you get the hang of it. Even if I do have to adjust most subtitles, or when I am creating one from scratch, I will spend over 90% of the time "studying", so the editing does not encumber me much.

I was at first trying to create properly aligned subtitles for something like subs2SRS, but then I realised I could just do everything in aegisub.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version