Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 3
11 September 2015 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Yet Another Quixotic Project
I am re-posting this discussion thread from the "other" HTLAL Forum. I am hoping to develop an argument for hosting the “FSI Basic Japanese (sic)” language course on the FSI-Language-Courses website. I have a copy of the original textbook in PDF format and a copy of what-seems-to-be the original audio recordings in MP3 format.

FSI Basic Japanese (sic)
For the past number of months, I have been reading literally hundreds of comments on the Internet, discussion threads on the old HTLAL, customer reviews on Amazon, and all manner of other communications concerning “FSI Japanese”. I am not referring to the "FSI Japanese FAST" course for which the text, in PDF format, is available on the FSI-Language-Courses website . Rather, I am referring to the textbook “Beginning Japanese” Parts 1 and 2, by Eleanor Harz Jorden, published circa 1962 by the Yale University Press, that it seems was adopted by the FSI before they developed their own course some years later. Everything that I have read suggests to me that Barron’s Educational Series published their own edition of the original textbook, with accompanying audio recordings, as “Mastering Japanese” and for which they identified the source as being the “Foreign Service Institute”. While the Barron’s version is no longer in circulation, Yale University Press continues to offer the original textbook, but no longer offers the audio recordings. For reasons of simplicity, I will refer to this language course as “FSI Basic Japanese (sic)”.

Hosting on the FSI-Language-Courses website?
With a view to preserving this “legacy” course and to providing free public access to it, I have been attempting to develop an argument for hosting the “FSI Basic Japanese (sic)” language course on the FSI-Language-Courses website. I have a copy of the original textbook “Beginning Japanese” in PDF format and a company of what-seems-to-be the original audio recordings in MP3 format. I have communicated with the Yale University Press, who kindly replied to me that, while they might support my proposal, they did not hold the copyright to the audio recordings which they believe had been produced by the Cheng & Tsui publishing company. My Emails to the latter went unanswered. Undaunted, I attempted to contact Barron’s Educational Series on the matter, but my Emails to them also went unanswered. Consequently, I cannot say that I have received authority to publish what-I-am-calling the “FSI Basic Japanese (sic)” course. And yet, “everybody knows” that the Eleanor Harz Jorden textbook and the accompanying audio files can been obtained either free-of-charge, or at a very low price, on the Internet. My question for the Forum Members is: given that we do not wish to incur the risk of legal action by hosting the “FSI Basic Japanese (sic)” course on the FSI-Language-Courses website without either the express or implied the permission to do so, is there an argument to be made that hosting the course is, indeed, justified? Your comments would be greatly appreciated. I’ll even accept “come on, Speakeasy, give it a rest!”

Edited by Speakeasy on 11 September 2015 at 1:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4459 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 3
16 September 2015 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Speakeasy wrote:
Undaunted, I attempted to contact Barron’s Educational Series on the matter,
but my Emails to them also went unanswered. Consequently, I cannot say that I have
received authority to publish what-I-am-calling the “FSI Basic Japanese (sic)” course.

[snip]

My question for the Forum Members is: given that we do not wish to incur the risk of legal
action by hosting the “FSI Basic Japanese (sic)” course on the FSI-Language-Courses website
without either the express or implied the permission to do so, is there an argument to be made
that hosting the course is, indeed, justified?

Well IANAL, but my answer would be "morally, you've made a reasonable effort, legally, you
probably haven't got a leg to stand on".

How useful is the course? Or, perhaps, how much better is it than the already-available FAST
course?

1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 3
16 September 2015 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Well IANAL, but my answer would be "morally, you've made a reasonable effort, legally, you probably haven't got a leg to stand on".

I was hoping that an expert in copyright law would reply with something to the effect of: "Go ahead and publish it. If there are legal issues, I will take on the case pro bono." However, as I no longer believe in Santa Clause, I must agree with you. I do not wish to serve as "an example to others" concerning compliance with copyright laws, hence my post.

dampingwire wrote:
How useful is the course? Or, perhaps, how much better is it than the already-available FAST course?

The original course, "Beginning Japanese" Parts 1 and 2, is generally recognized as the first truly solid introduction to the language for English-speakers. The author took the (clearly-stated) position that, in her view, it was easier to learn the basic elements of spoken Japanese before embarking on a programme of learning to read and write the language. She published separate books for reading and writing. Accordingly, the textbooks (either Beginning Japanese or Barron's Mastering Japanese, which is a copy of the former) use romanji. Comments on the Internet and the HTLAL vary; some support her approach, while others decry it (only because of the use of romanji. Either way, there seems to be a consensus that this course was akin to the "FSI-Basic-Style" courses of the period and that it is an excellent, if somewhat dated, introduction to the Japanese language. I am not seeking to re-open the debate, there has been quite enough of that since the course was published some five decades ago. I am more interested in seeing this excellent "legacy" course made available free-of-charge to the public. As to your question, many commentators judge Beginning Japanese superior to the FSI Japanese FAST course.

Available Where?
Yale University Press continues to display the original textbook on their website. However, they no long offer the audio recordings. The textbook is also available via Amazon and other online booksellers. Although Barron's ceased publishing their edition some years ago, used copies can be found on Amazon. Also, there are very-low priced, or free, copies of the textbook in PDF format along with the audio recordings in MP3 format available on EBay and various "free" download services. Then again, perhaps a fellow HTLAL Forum Member would have a copy that he might be prepared to share.

Edited by Speakeasy on 16 September 2015 at 9:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version