Groupie
Australia
Joined 3142 days ago

50 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 60
14 September 2015 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
http://io9.com/5897308/immersion-in-a-foreign-language-rewir es-your-brain---especially-when-you-take-time-off. I found the attached article and the study it linked to it interesting, although it has most likely been discussed elswhere on the forum.

I was intrigued by the definition given for "implicit training," as "training that engages…learners with the target language but does not provide any explicit information or direction to search for rules."

Edited by Digitalis on 14 September 2015 at 4:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Digitalis
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3142 days ago

50 posts - 57 votes 

Message 10 of 60
14 September 2015 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
@ Iguanamon. I guess I will do the 30 lessons then. We'll see how we go from there.

Edited by Digitalis on 15 September 2015 at 7:00am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 60
14 September 2015 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
@iguanamon, just making sure you noticed the part about the timeframe. normally I'd say Pimsleur is a good idea if you enjoy it and want to speak, but it's kinda slow.

Digitalis
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3142 days ago

50 posts - 57 votes 

Message 12 of 60
14 September 2015 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
@ Serpent: . If I have to take a bit longer in order to get better results, then I take a year. Would you recommend all three editions of Pimsleur then, Serpent? I have access to them all and I do not mind doing them. If they are worth doing and are going to give me better results, I will do them.

Edited by Digitalis on 14 September 2015 at 4:21pm

Digitalis
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3142 days ago

50 posts - 57 votes 

Message 13 of 60
15 September 2015 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Another Assimil+Pimsleur+ my first Destinos lesson down. I am nearing the end of my
third week of the Assimil passive wave.

I have decided to finish at least Pimsleur level 1, as per the advice given in this
forum. In for a penny, in for a pound, as they say.
I think the counting exercises are at least helpful- this is something that Assimil
probably
doesn't do too well- they do not include chapter/page numbers in their audio.

I could understand the majority of what was happening in the first episode of Destinos,
not a big achievement but it was a confidence booster.

Edited by Digitalis on 15 September 2015 at 9:58am

Digitalis
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3142 days ago

50 posts - 57 votes 

Message 14 of 60
19 September 2015 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
I will try to update this log every time I do a weekly review session. I am now on the
review session for week 3.
I find the lessons are getting noticeably harder. Some of the sentence constructions,
such as the line "Os amais los unos a los otros" (lesson sixteen) were hard to
wrap my head around at the time, having a completely different syntactical structure
to English.
However, it makes more sense looking back on it now with a few days' hindsight.
In general, my comprehension has been around 80-90% after completing each lesson, and
it took me 2 days to finish one of the lessons last week lessons- I just could not
assimilate it with enough comprehension after one day. I expect this to happen much
more in the future.
I also find that the dialogue lines are long, making it hard to "listen and repeat"
without mangling the sentences. Heck, I don't even know if I could hold English
sentences of that size in my short term memory after only hearing them once or twice!

These aren't complaints, as I am still happy with the method and aim to persevere with
it. I will also echo some other people's observations that you should have at least a
very basic grounding in the language before starting.
I think that just starting with Assimil would be overwhelming, especially if it is
their first language- I am glad I started with Michel Thomas.

Edited by Digitalis on 19 September 2015 at 5:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4802 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 15 of 60
19 September 2015 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry about analysing Assimil too much, especially in the passive wave. Just carry on at the pace of one lesson a day, even if it doesn't feel like its making sense. You will have plenty of time to analyse things when you get to the active wave.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 60
22 September 2015 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Digitalis wrote:
@ Serpent: . If I have to take a bit longer in order to get better results, then I take a year. Would you recommend all three editions of Pimsleur then, Serpent? I have access to them all and I do not mind doing them. If they are worth doing and are going to give me better results, I will do them.

I didn't say it'll get better results, just that it's worth doing if you enjoy it and can learn from audio-only. Don't plan that far ahead, the biggest advantages of Pimsleur are pronunciation and automatism. If you are satisfied with them after one level, or feel like you're learning nothing, then stop. I've only done a quick 10-lesson introduction to Romanian, and it was getting boring by the end.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version