16 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 16
26 September 2015 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Yep, I do this as much as possible :) I find it especially useful for related languages. It can sometimes be slower, but for me that's balanced out by using/improving two languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 16
27 September 2015 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
I make lots of bilingual texts with Google translate, and there I can choose many different languages for the translations. If I'm weak in a language I am more dependent on them than I am in my better languages, but once I'm past the beginner stage I start changing the target language just for fun. The risk is however that I start learning rotten expressions and faulty translations from them so I have to remind myself to keep the focus on the original versions.

Edited by Iversen on 05 October 2015 at 12:18pm

ashtonbrady45
United States
Joined 3116 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 11 of 16
03 October 2015 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
rmel wrote:
At the moment I am learning Russian and French (I am about pre-
intermediate in both). I wanted to spend more time practicing both languages so I
thought finding parallel texts in French and Russian would be the best way to go about
this. I managed to find a French-Russian parallel text in France. I have a few
questions about this:

Does anyone on here read parallel text not in their native language?
Does anyone think it is a bad idea? (I am wondering whether its a bad idea as my
sister pointed out that the translation might not be a good one and thus would
actually hinder language learning. On this occasion however my sister who is virtually
fluent in French checked the translation).
Suggestions of parallel texts in French and Russian (preferably a text where either
French or Russian is in the original).

I am also looking at learning Spanish and German. So any suggestions for combinations
of Russian, French, Spanish or German are welcome.

Couple of weeks ago i just start to learn about Russian language but it's really hard
to me

ashtonbrady45
United States
Joined 3116 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 12 of 16
21 November 2015 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Nowadays, when I'm facing language problems then I'm using google translator it's easy to learn as compared to others.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 21 November 2015 at 6:45pm

ilmari
Tetraglot
Australia
Joined 5269 days ago

23 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: French*, Modern Hebrew, English, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Finnish, Yiddish, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto

Message 13 of 16
12 December 2015 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
If you are learning Spanish, First Spanish Reader: A Beginner's Dual-Language Book, edited by Angel Flores and
published by Dover, is just delightful

The texts are fun, easy to follow, and the English translations help clarify the Spanish content.
You even get oral exercises and translation exercises for each text, and a full ocabulary at the end.

The book is easily available, and costs less than ten dollars.

A real gem!

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5239 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 14 of 16
26 December 2015 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
One thing that I think may be a bit challenging, is reading bilingual texts when both languages are at
the same level. I am studying Chinese with Japanese materials, most of which use bilingual texts.
However, my Japanese is much better and I can always use Japanese to refer to unknown words. I
imagine that if you are equal in level of both, it might be hard to use one or the other as a reference.
It might be worth it to get one of the languages to a higher level before doing this, so you have a
stronger point of reference. If I attempted such an endeavor, I reckon I would be spending a ton of
time in dictionaries looking up unknown words in two languages.

Have you encountered any difficulty of doing this since both are at the same pre-intermediate level?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 16
26 December 2015 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
I find it helpful when the languages are not related and got to the same level of comprehension in different ways. For example if I read in two Romance languages, there would be things I don't understand in either. With two Slavic languages it's less likely but possible. If I do Italian-Polish or Spanish-Czech, they complement one another. (In practise I've only done LR with these combinations, but the logic is the same)

BTW most members are now here.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 16 of 16
26 December 2015 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yep, I do this as much as possible :) I find it especially useful for related languages. It can sometimes be slower, but for me that's balanced out by using/improving two languages.

To clarify, I meant when two languages are related to something else, not to each other.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version