SeventyFive
Israel
Joined 3145 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 3
28 September 2015 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Hi, an audio only focus for this post.

Having had a somewhat in-depth experience with the Pimsleur method, and quite a brief experience with PN and MT, and having read a bunch of reviews and comparisons, I am trying to devise the best way to synergize between the programs.

As I gather, the advantage of PN/MT over Pimsleur is their better focus on explanation and analysis of the language at hand, while Pimsleur's advantage lies in it's brain-washing memorization effect, and its wider coverage of vocabulary. While between PN and MT the PN advantage is in its better pronunciation in some of the languages, and MT has the upper hand in material coverage, while the jury is split on the advantages/disadvantages of the "other" students in the MT method.

So, the following is what I figure to be a good way to combine the programs without doing them all from the beginning (as time is the scarcest resource for some of us):

1) Starting with PN's course - to get a general handle on the language and pronunciation

2) Then MT - Using the PN background to skip MT's "Total" (8 first CD's) and go straight to the advanced (or do the 2 review CDs and then the advanced) - to get a better understanding of structure

3) Using above background to go straight to Pimsleur II and beyond - to sharpen the pronunciation and accumulate more vocabulary.

For languages where PN is not available, you start from basic MT instead.
Obviously you incur a hit on each program switch, however at least for Pimsleur, as I recall, the second level begins with some rehearsal and the brain-washing should get you up to speed.

Would love to hear your feedback and corrections

Thanks

Edited by SeventyFive on 28 September 2015 at 1:29am

1 person has voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3641 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 3
28 September 2015 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
You didn't mention the Target Language.
I think the best MT methods are the ones where he doesn't speak, but is replaced by a native speaker using his method: Russian and Japanese are really good, also the french version of MT to learn German, Spanish and Italian are good (it's called "Harrap's MT" in France and it's not Michel Thomas himself who speaks but a native speaker with a good accent, using his method with the 2 students.)
For me, the progression of Paul Noble is painfully slow: I've listened to PN German, and didn't learn anything that I already knew, but if french was your TL I would use PN for the pronounciation, because MT's french accent isn't the best I've heard.
I don't use Pimsleur.
2 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4053 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 3
02 October 2015 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
I always liked starting with Pimsleur because you use the language more and it starts you with good pronunciation. Usually somewhere between level 10 or 20 with Pimsleur I always found I started making more mistakes due to the building of material and the lack of grammar explanations, so whenever I got to the point where Pimsleur got more difficult I would switch and work through MT. MT was always fun because I had a head start on the other students and decent basic pronunciation and I could focus on the grammar stuff that was usually tripping me up on Pimsleur. Then once I finished Michel Thomas I'd go back to Pimsleur which gave enough time to consolidate what I initially learned and also give me better working knowledge of the grammar so everything happened more automatically.

Never used Paul Noble.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version